grade 11 roof problem(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a grade 2 listed house,slate roof, cast iron gutters etc
The roof has had some remedial repairs...the chimney appears to have been rebuilt, we have a very small leak around the chimney not sure exactly from where as it's hard to get to plus the previous owner has tacked roofing felt all across the INSIDE of the joists...is this a common practice or, as I fear. a bodge job?
I pulled a small section of the felt away and there is no felt between the slates and the joists at all but in sections there are small sections of mortar applied the the underside of the slates along the overlaps...presumably in an attempt to stop rain blowing under the slates.
The gutter is another nightmare there are only two down pipes,both on the same side of the house as a consequence if it rains hard enough the gutter overflows at the side of the house with no downpipes...like some sort of waterfall, I've been up and cleaned them out so they are clear but obviously can't cope with the amount of rainfall.
Ideally we would like to rip the whole lot off and have it replaced properly but any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like the roof is in its original condition how old is the property

The house was built in 1840...the roof looks to be in pretty good nick...(cosmetically) new sections of flashing etc, I'm thinking the previous owner just did a make do and mend job on it til he could afford to do it properly....strange as there is brand new insulation on the loft and it must've been a bit of job tacking up all that felt which looks pretty new....is that how roofs were contructed "back in the day"?

yes there would have been no felt at that period the felt that you see now somebody has tacked to the inside of your rafters by the sound of it.

Sponsored Links
Why didn't your surveyor pick up on this felt under the rafters? Surely you had a survey on a house of that age?

Why didn't your surveyor pick up on this felt under the rafters? Surely you had a survey on a house of that age?

yes he did point it out plus the fact that it was difficult to fully inspect the roof without removing the felt...we got a 30k reduction on the strenghth of the dubious condition of the roof....sounds like we may need it!

obviously can't cope with the amount of rainfall.
Ideally we would like to rip the whole lot off and have it replaced properly but any advice would be much appreciated.
First thing is to see local council and apply for listed building consent to fit another downpipe - and realign the gutter. You then need an old skool plumber to do it and also the lead flashing repairs to the chimney - you could dig the soakaway for the rainwater ;) Have you seen the price of iron rainwater goods :eek:

30k reduction because of the dubious condition of the roof - therefore I would suggest you get some quotes to replace it - sounds like its about time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back