GRANT COMBI 90 MK11 which has a very low hot water flow rate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anybody help? I have a GRANT COMBI 90 MK11 which has a very low hot water flow rate.
static hot water pressure at the taps is approx 2 / 2.5bar but flow rate is very poor. Water pressure at meter on cold is 2 bar with flow rate 30 lt per min and good cold pressure and flow in the house. Boiler has had recent service, new heat exchanger and what looks like a new therm mixing valve along with new pipework from boiler to kit/bathroom. Heating works fine and hot water is hot just very very slow, takes hours to run a bath. My local heating engineer says its the heat exchanger but thats only 2 months old. HELP NEEDED PLEASE cos my better half is giving me a right ear bashing

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/low-hot-water-flow-rate.439630/#ixzz3hxfhhHWE

Sponsored Links
If the hot water flow is significantly lower than the cold flow, then there must be an obstruction somewhere in that circuit. When you say you have had what looks like a new mixing valve, if it is not, then this could be your problem. Alternatively, there may be a blockage in the supply pipework that has been renewed. Can you see whether the microswitch is operated by the diaphragm?

Hi thanks for that, I can't see or detect any visual movement around the diaphragm or switch however the system change's from heating to hot water only with no apparent problem's so I am guessing that's ok. I will take a look at the mixing valve next to see if that's clear and then check the pipework again.
Thanks again for the help and advice.

If you cannot see movement in the microswitch, then the diaphragm is not moving. This suggests that the supply to the boiler is insufficient, taken with the low flow performance.

Sponsored Links
There's often a flow adjustment valve on the inlet to the heat exchanger on these - post a photo of the heat exchanger and the pipework going into it

Be aware, though, that hot water flow rate will always be lower than cold water flow rate - that is the nature of a combi boiler

Hi all, It looks like it was the mixing valve furred up around the filters so all cleaned out and much better water flow now, it's still not great in the bathroom but I think that is just the nature of the beast. A huge thank you to Oilhead and Muggles for all your help and taking the time to reply as I would not have sorted it without your help.
PS I now have a happy misses who also say's THANK YOU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back