Grant vortex combi boiler losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grant Vortex 26, and it is losing pressure. It can be at 1 bar in the evening, and be down to 0.3 bar in the morning. When the heating is on, it holds pressure, but as soon as you turn on hot water somewhere in the house the pressure drops. I thought the two systems were separate, but apparently not.
The adjustable valve (min, 1 2 3 4 5 Max) is leaking a bit. Not a lot, but a bit.
Can it be this adjustable valve, or something else? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It could be the temperature adjustment valve inside the boiler. If it's leaking on a joint fix it, if it's leaking on the body change it . I had a Worcester Bosch boiler that was gaining pressure because it was leaking across the flat plate heat exchanger( could be opposite on yours). On combi's they usually get annoying leaks around these components.

The TMV has nothing to do with system pressure.
Is the PRV discharging water?

Could be expansion vessel lost charge and it's offloading like T said. If so if it's been going for a while the PRV may need replacing.Bob

Sponsored Links
The TMV has nothing to do with system pressure.
Is the PRV discharging water?

There is a very slight leak on the PRV itself. It’s not discharging any water out the pipe, but is leaking a bit. The plumber didn’t think it was leaking enough to cause the drop in pressure.

Bob, I just had a new expansion vessel fitted. Doesn’t seem to be leaking anything. This was the first thing the plumber thought was responsible for the pressure loss so replaced it.

You could tie a plastic bag on the pipe from the prv and that will tell you if it's leaking and any leak inside the boiler will drop the pressure.Bob

By the way the first thing to do is not to replace ex vessel but to check the charge pressure and pump it up cheaper than a replacement.Bob

Hi Bob, thanks. As as said above, there is a small leak at the PRV. Not through the pipe, but actually where it is mounted. It is only a very small leave. Do you think it could be responsible for the pressure loss?

Just had a thought. Does a new expansion vessel need to be pumped up? Or does it come at the right pressure? If it needs to be pumped up, to what pressure?

Just posted on a similar thread, my neighbours Grant boiler was losing water from the PRV. I checked the expansion vessel and changed the PRV.
Same problem, so reluctantly swapped the expansion vessel then found the flexi hose on the expansion vessel was completely blocked so the expansion vessel was effectively not there at all. Fitted new hose. all OK

Just posted on a similar thread, my neighbours Grant boiler was losing water from the PRV. I checked the expansion vessel and changed the PRV.
Same problem, so reluctantly swapped the expansion vessel then found the flexi hose on the expansion vessel was completely blocked so the expansion vessel was effectively not there at all. Fitted new hose. all OK
Im having the same problem
The hose is gone all black

What type of hose did you use?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back