Grant Vortex Pro Combi 26E: Oil smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I’ve recently bought a property that has a Grant Vortex Pro Combi 26E (installed November 2014) in the kitchen. At the moment we haven’t actually moved in properly yet and so we are only using the boiler for about 30 mins each evening and it seems to work fine. But when we first get to the property, the kitchen smells of oil (the boiler not having been used for 24 hours) and when I take the front panel off, the smell is definitely coming from the boiler itself and seems to get slightly worse when its switched on. I can’t see any leaks at all. It’s definitely an oil smell, not a fume smell.

Is this normal? Should I get it looked at? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
No, it's not normal and needs to be seen to.
Common issues are weeping fuel lines and taps, and the oil pump itself which lives inside the burner casing.
It doesn't take much kero to stink the place out!
John :)

Could be the oil pump not shutting off properly at the end of it's run and dropping oil into the combustion chamber and vaporising therefore stinking the place out.Bob

Sponsored Links
Run your fingers around the bottom of the oil pump. This is on the left hand side of the burner and has the flexible hose connected in the bottom. Also run your fingers along the length of the flexible hose. A small leak will contaminate a closed area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back