Grant Vortex Pro Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the middle of renovating an old cottage. I intend to rent it out. I have purchased the above boiler. My father who is project manager, employed a local non certified plumber to fit it (to my distain).....

I am told it must now be commissioned for me to rent out. Is this true?

If it is fitted correctly am I likely to find another plumber to commission it, or will it have to be removed and reinstalled?

Is it best to get one of the plumbers reccommended by the boiler company? (none live locally). Or is this a "pay over the odds" scam?

Plumbers, please do not take my last question the wrong way.......

Any advise on this topic would be greatly appreciated..
Many thanks...

Sponsored Links
To my understanding, you don't need it comissioned to rent the property.

You do have to have it commissioned by competent person in order to get building control to pass the installation (competent person cannot now pass the install hence LABC involvement and cost). Until then the whole installation is non-compliant whether or not you rent the premises. A registered person with a full 101/105 ticket would of course have been able to do this for you without you contacting LABC.

PS. As far as I know Grant or any other oil appliance manufacturer do not operate any 'scams'.

Genearl advice: Cutting corners will almost always cost you more in the long run

Tibbot";p="1425384 said:
To my understanding, you don't need it comissioned to rent the property.

Ask around a registered OFTEC (101/105) technician. You may find one who is prepared to certify the installation after a thorough inspection. it is not against regs for one to do this; he just needs to be certain it complies as it is his liability to take.

Sponsored Links
Was the guy competent thats the most important question as these boilers do need setting up on site to site conditions using a pressure gauge,smoke gun fire valve fitted as the above boiler is very expensive and can soot up very quick,you can look on the oftec site to get an approved fitter close to you but i would rather a competent non registered than a newby registered ;)

Many registered technicians will commission the appliance if all is ok and issue a CD11 or commissioning form, though this does not sign off the installation it will only enable the customer to get it signed off by LABC who will issue a CD10 or installation certification/notification form.

Some will issue a cd11 fill in the cd10 supplied with boiler and self cert if the install is ok and then go on to service the boiler for years after if asked.

Some will issue a cd11 fill in the cd10 supplied with boiler and self cert if the install is ok and then go on to service the boiler for years after if asked.

Meaning they're prepared to bend the system if there's purse in it long term. Nothing wrong with that.

I have a friend who is a very good gas registered engineer who installs i just repair and sevice as i don't have the time when he has done a complete install i turn up do the final oil connection(as two pipe needs bypass) test check system working ok and certify everyones happy

Sorry if you think thats wrong but i get a lot of long term sericing from them as they only do installs

Sorry if you think thats wrong but i get a lot of long term sericing from them as they only do installs

So clearly you've missed the word 'nothing' before the word 'wrong'.

Besides doing what you say (as many of us have also done) is far from certifying some chancer who's probably undercut you in the first place.

I agree with you in this thread i wouldn't go to a job where i don't know the installer,i only do it for a friend i have known for a long time as i know his work is good(not a chancer) and i get the sevice off it and i dont want the job of installing so not worried about loosing the job.
If i didnt the customer could get a oftec newby who in my experience is worse and i would lose out on the long term service and the customer would not have the reliable service/breakdown guy they have had for the last 10 years
:LOL:

tibbot where you from as im boardering herts. are you selfemployed or work for a company.
I do a lot of aga rayburns in herts

I agree with you in this thread i wouldn't go to a job where i don't know the installer,i only do it for a friend i have known for a long time as i know his work is good(not a chancer) and i get the sevice off it and i dont want the job of installing so not worried about loosing the job.
If i didnt the customer could get a oftec newby who in my experience is worse and i would lose out on the long term service and the customer would not have the reliable service/breakdown guy they have had for the last 10 years
:LOL:

Many of us will have similar arrangements with all sorts of trades.
In what you're describing the punter receives the same service as that from a self-certifying technician. Though that's not been the arrangement with the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back