Gravity water can i pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Just found your forum and hope i am posting this in the right place.

I qualified as a plumber in 1989 and have never gone into the trade so i can now write as much about modern heating systems on the back of a stamp.

I am wanting to know if i can pump the gravity flow off my Glowworm Ultimate boiler (sorry not got model to hand, but it's 10 years old). The reason being is we need to re-route this pipework slightly in a downwards position to allow for building work, obviously the water cannot gravity flow any longer.

Someone mentioned a two port valve and a stat then wire this back to the programmer?

Hope some clever person can be of assistance.

Appologies if i have posted this in the wrong part of the site.

Christopher.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can convert the gravity circulation to pumped using the existing pump with appropriate pipework alterations.

You will need to change the feed and vent connections to avoid pumping over. Also the vent must rise continuously to the header tank which might present you with a problem.

You will also need to have a control system based on a 3 port mid position valve (Y plan) or 2 x 2 port valves (S plan). check the Honeywell site for details.

christopher said:
Hi.

I qualified as a plumber in 1989 and have never gone into the trade so i can now write as much about modern heating systems on the back of a stamp.

I am wanting to know if i can pump the gravity flow off my Glowworm Ultimate boiler (sorry not got model to hand, but it's 10 years old). The reason being is we need to re-route this pipework slightly in a downwards position to allow for building work, obviously the water cannot gravity flow any longer.

Someone mentioned a two port valve and a stat then wire this back to the programmer?

Christopher.

what you can do is this you will need a cylinder stat, one 2 port valve
wire the cylinder stat to the 2 port valve and put the valve on the flow to cylinder dont forget to replace the 28mm and wire the port valve to the pump

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
and put the valve on the flow to cylinder

handy if the vent happens to be at the end or the run :eek:

the valve can be put onto the flow about 8 inches away as it enters the cylinder .........

B.O.B DOLE said:
christopher said:
Hi.

Christopher.

what you can do is this you will need a cylinder stat, one 2 port valve
wire the cylinder stat to the 2 port valve and put the valve on the flow to cylinder dont forget to replace the 28mm and wire the port valve to the pump

This sounds like the best job for me, and i REALLY appreciate everyones help here.

Top forum i must say. :LOL: ;)

Don't forget, there must never be any valve between the boiler flow and the open vent, so it might be better to put the zone valve on the return connection (usually the bottom cylinder connection).

You may also need to close couple the cold fill and vent to reduce the risk of pumping over, though it is always best to run new cold fill and vent pipes to the pump suction, so I'd advise doing this at the building stage.

meldrew's_mate said:
Don't forget, there must never be any valve between the boiler flow and the open vent, so it might be better to put the zone valve on the return connection (usually the bottom cylinder connection).

You may also need to close couple the cold fill and vent to reduce the risk of pumping over, though it is always best to run new cold fill and vent pipes to the pump suction, so I'd advise doing this at the building stage.

mel i mean a 2 port valve going into the cyl flow so it would be good practise to put it on the flow

what you mean is there should be no valve from the cyl vent to the header

Christopher, please don't take advice from BOB Dole. He isn't really technically competent. Check the proper plumbing and wiring diagrams on Honeywell as I suggested.

chrishutt said:
Christopher, please don't take advice from BOB Dole. He isn't really technically competent. Check the proper plumbing and wiring diagrams on Honeywell as I suggested.

yes chris i think you should look also at plan c

B.O.B DOLE said:
chrishutt said:

yes chris i think you should look also at plan c

NOT IF THE VENT IS TEED OFF THE CYLINDER

will you listen :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back