Grease for bearings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sons bike was feeling a bit stiff so we decided to replace the bearings. The old ones were very rusty:
IMG_3162.PNG

The new ones are obviously better:

IMG_3206.JPG

But don't have much grease in them. Could I pack them with grease to make them last longer? I'm thinking more grease = less water.

What type of grease would be best? I tried some copper grease in one but it seems to have slowed it down. They won't ever spin, just 1/4 turn back and forth.

Sponsored Links
couldn't you get a sealed bearing?

Agree with lithium grease. A little tube is perfect. I'm afraid maintenance is one of those things that goes with MTBing. particularly in the winter. One of the reasons I got in to road cycling. I used to get through a set of pads once a month, 2 chains and a cassette each year and a crankset would be doing well to last 2 seasons.

Sponsored Links
They are sealed but I popped it off to look inside.

I'll try the lithium grease, thanks :)

Wandering off topic once more.....I've opened a few ZZ bearings and found precious little lube inside :eek:
On bikes, jet washing is a huge killer.
John :)

For next time, I'd not take the seal off and just slap plenty in when you install it. The grease will protect the bearing better from the outside and work in a bit. They'll run better with the factory grease and an undisturbed seal as the seals are so easy to damage.

I've got the frame painted now (It was a women's bike but now a boys bike)

Do you think I need to clean the paint off where the bearings press in or will the bearing remove the paint itself?

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3674.JPG

Smart job that! (y)
I'd be inclined to scrape the paint away, so that any residual paint doesn't pack behind the bearing as you push it in and maybe cause it to be a little out of alignment - probably a bit overkill though!
If the bearing is a little slack, then use a Loctite product or similar to hold it.
If the frame was powder coated, it would be essential to remove the coating.
John :)

Thanks, one of mates sprays cars so he did it for us.

I'll try and scrape it out with a blade (y)

Personally I wouldn't bother, I'd just pop a bit of grease in there.

I'm curious as to how you got the old ones out. Do you have a bearing puller? They are normally a b**ch due to the stupid ring. If you don't have one and want to make sure they go in evenly, I personally find a long nut and bolt with a couple of socket set heads are ideal for squeezing the bearings in evenly. i.e. like this
bushingpullsocket.png

Same idea works for the headset cones too.
Are you planning to service the forks and shock.. its worth doing and fairly easy.

I sat them on a slightly larger socket then knocked them out from behind with a flat screwdriver. I had to Dremel 2 of them which crumbled and left the outer bit in the frame:
IMG_3166.JPG

Jesus!!! Hard work or what, who thought bolting a pedal bike back together could be so frustrating :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

IMG_3699.JPG

IMG_3700.JPG

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back