Great Britains finest moment, What was it?

Thermo said:
as you said before re read your history
do you doubt that the russians won ww2 > /?

look it up then come back to me with your version my version centres on 1941 and operation CITADEL

after that the germans where on the defensive totally

the russians done more to win ww2 than any other nation obviously we done our bit but come on credit where credits due

yanks ? where were they last min cavalry as usual toootootooootooootooo:cool:

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
ah good someone else who HAS read their history!

And i agree with you about the population during the blitz, but i think the entire population and armed services were pretty much as one from doing the fighting to collecting pots and pans to make the planes
>

so we all know they had a pact but the fact remains russia hammerd germany more than any other nation

1941 was the turning point for germany now u tell me when the yanks came in and when we actually landed on the shores of france > then tell me who kept the germans busy for so long

RUSSIA :LOL:

"then tell me who kept the germans busy for so long "

take off the rose tinted specs eh lad ...

lol.....the Ruskies didnt "keep them busy" as a favour to the rest of free Europe ...they were fighting for their lives as Mother Russia was being destroyed an occupied , the Wehrmacht were only 30 miles from Moscow .....

look it up then come back to me with your version my version centres on 1941 and operation CITADEL

i hope ypur not sugesting that operation citadel happened in 1941!

I totally agree with you that russia played an enormous part in the war and suffered absolutley horrendous losses.

As for keeping germany busy, all allied nations did a fair job of it, North Africa, Italy, The Balkans, Eastern and Western Front, and the Air War and Bombing campaigns. All tied up enormous amounts of germanys resources which meant they couldnt all be concentrated on one front. eg

the italy campaign was an extremly difficult an arduous campaign that tied up many units that hitler was desperate to send to the eastern front. The bombing of dresden was done at the request of stalin to assist in the attacks on the eastern front. The battle of the bulge caused heavy losses for the allies and used up germanys last valuable oil and tank reserves, shortening the war as they couldnt be used on the eastern front etc etc etc.

Dont forget the usa poured masses of machinery and arms into russia to assist them as they were recovering from operatiuon barborossa, where so many british sailors perished on the North atlantic convoys getting the stuff there.

However my point was during the battle of britain we were the only nation (with the commonwealth) standing and fighting against them as russia hadnt come into the war then. It was a time when the whole country pulled together and i think its a real British memory and perhaps one that shows what this country is capable of

Sponsored Links
Thermo makes a good case.

If Russia hadn't made the pact with Germany in the first place and actually stood against Hitler's forces in 1939 we might not have had such a long war. Russia were complicit in setting up the situation where they were forced to fight against Germany - credit where its due for the many Russian people who fought and lost their lives, but its important to understand their country's role prior to the start of the war before you heap praise on them as the world's saviour. Like many other issues, which some people will never wish to understand, this was not a black and white issue.

Thermo
very good post .. :) an some other intune real history posts ...

maybe slogger has gone off battering people he has read about in his toon post ..lol

you can just imagine it
as he scans the paper seeing a lad holding his new born baby
an above it a piece on a kiddie fiddler ,

slogger waits outside proud dads house , conversation goes like this ..

slogger :you that fella in the post like ...??

man :Yeah I am ...THANKS !

slogger : so's yous think yah clever like ...Proud like ..?

man :well we can all do it but yeah I am proud ..even you fat lad like !

slogger now seething :yous telling me you had that kid in tha post ..like ..

man : yeah I did ...LOL

slogger pulling out his ball pien hammer : an smashes the blokes head in ..

an walks off muttering , just them lots wait til I tell them how I done this nonce ,like ...

another thing to remember is that russia subjugated many countries afterwards, and was responsible for as many if not more deaths of its own people bfore during and after the war. They didnt do poland many favours during the war (twice!)

Back