Green goo plug sockets - re-wiring property questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've had green goo oozing from various plug sockets around my 3 bed room maisonette (built late 60's) for quite a while now and its recently got increasingly worst.

It looks like the whole place will need rewiring but I'm wondering how long that would take and how does it work exactly? Will electricians need to rip floors up etc (new laminate in bedroom upstairs) or is all the wiring generally laid within walls?

Will all electricity be cut for the duration? I work exclusively from home so this would be a bit of a nightmare for me.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Any wooden floors will need floorboards close to the walls lifted.

The power will be kept on as long as possible, but will occasionally need to be isolated for various reasons.

Get them to check the lighting circuits has an earth wire, if not now is the time to re-do. Check here for green slime.

All the old wiring will need disconnecting. usually it is removed as the existing cable runs are re-used. Rather than having to drill more holes and further weaken structural timbers.

Rewiring is much more expensive if the property is occupied (=lots of furniture to be moved) and
(worse)
the client wants electricity, heating & lighting to be working at the end of the day.

Floors may have to come up and it will depend on positioning. eg if you have a top floor maisonette then access for wiring can be in the roof. If it is ground floor then wiring access will probably be in the ceilings. Tjis won't be available from above as that will be your neighbours maisonette. That may mean ceilings have to come down.

It may not be that bad. Only an experienced electrrician can can tell you by surveyimng the site. Get a few quotes.

There is much more info on this forum about the green goo.
Use the search facility, type in 'green goo' and select Electrics UK.

Here's a typical thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=330602#330602

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back