Green Oak Framing - tips, books, websites?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build a sunroom. I would like it to be traditionally timber framed. I cannot afford the 12k + it would cost for a pro company to do the frame only.

This means my only choice is DIY or change construction style.

I have not decided yet whether to go for it or not and I don't wish to belittle the skills of pro framers. I am not just assuming I can do it.

I have tried to read into as much as poss, most books are USA and therefore for softwood. Rupert Newmans book provides fairly good detail of joints etc.

Failing those, I cannot find any info offering greater detail, of joint choice, design layout etc or tips like what sort of taper to cut pegs to.

Does anyone have any ideas, experience, pointers towards books or website?

I am failry sure my joinery skills are up to cutting the joints but there is a whole lot more to it than just joints.

Thanks in advance,
TOm

Sponsored Links
This book is very good, although the chapters of hewing beams from logs may not bee of so much use the rest is useful. Jack Sobons other books are also quite good.

Pegs are generally not tapered, except for a slight lead to help then through the hole and give a "draw" to the joint. Should be cut from dry oak, preferably cleft(split) so the grain runs true then rounded off withh a draw knife or dowel plate.

Here's a link to making a small oak structure

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back