Greenfly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on getting rid of greenfly/aphids on herbs?

I don't want to use chemicals as I would like to use the herbs. I have heard that spraying with soapy water will do it. Why soapy water? and will that affect the growth/taste of the herbs?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To organic gardeners, soapy water does count as a chemical!
It's early in the greenfly season so rub them off with your fingers. Then go and round up some lady birds and put them on your herbs. In about 2 weeks you will have great biologcal greenfly control!
(Worked a treat on my apple trees last year.)

Srodders said:
Why soapy water? and will that affect the growth/taste of the herbs?

The soapy water method is all about making life difficult for aphids, the film residue helps to dissuade them to attack your plants. You will need to wash the herbs off well before using, other than that you'll be blowing bubbles :LOL:

Try looking up companion planting on the RHS web site, sometimes you can sacrifice one plant to save others.

Your not alone with this problem, I live behind a large field, and each year they invade my garden to such an extent, that I have to plant only plants with leaves that don't attract the little ba***rds :(

marigolds are good at fending off the little blighters.
jet of water, but carful not to damage the host plant.
or as metioned, ladybirds, and you can bolster the numbers by making homes for them, from short hollow lengths of bamboo.
There is also a parasite that will literally inject greenfly with its young and then they die as they hatch, alienlike. Cant remember the name of them but it is a form of biological control.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
Cant remember the name of them but it is a form of biological control.

'Aphidius colemani' parasitic wasp. Best used in a glass house environment, as to restrict area, and possible escape to next doors plants :mad: They occur naturally outdoors in summer, however can be killed off by using 'spray on insecticides' so a good reason to go organic!

Marigolds, thats the stuff Thermo, something bright and says 'come to me aphids'. I bought myself a couple of 'ladybird houses' and seems to attract them, not cheap though.

not cheap???
handful of short lengths of bamboo, little roof from offcuts (too make it look nice) and roberts your mothers brother!

Thermo said:
not cheap???
handful of short lengths of bamboo, little roof from offcuts (too make it look nice) and roberts your mothers brother!
Should that little roof be thatched or tiled ?? ;)

Calendulas are excellent for this purpose, and give you some nice cut flowers as well.

fennel is also good if you leave it once it has finished flowering and dont tend it, they are quite happy to make the stems there home. (ladybirds that is not greenfly!)

(no tiled is preferable to thatch scooby, less maintenance!) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back