Greenstar Heatslave (oil) - no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When turning the boiler on the timeclock is calling for both hot water and central heating with the priority being hot water. The heatslave tank heats up to the setting on the hot water thermostat. When turning the hot water tap on the diverter valve immediately moves from 'port a'(hot water) to 'port b' (central heating) with the result of no hot water. This happens even when the heatslave tank is full of hot water.
I have already changed the timeclock, flowswitch and diverter valve which hasn't fixed the problem, as soon as I turn on the hot water tap the diverter valve switches to 'port b'.
The model is a oil Greenstar Heatslave 12/18.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Before investing in a PCB, treble check your wiring connections for the components you have changed, and check the outputs at the PCB connections with a multimeter, particularly from the programmer. Is your timeclock the factory fitted component or a remote unit? If the former, have you fitted the right part? There are several versions of the basic unit in the Worcester range, ranging from £40 for some gas units to £140 for the oil version. If a remote unit, then make sure you have selected the correct mode of operation.
You have still not answered if the HW works if only that is selected.

As Hairynipples pointed out …..Port a is Heating.

The valve is closed by spring pressure to portB for water demand.... It is a divertor not mid pos'n.
Have you fitted correct valve / actuator

Before investing in a PCB, treble check your wiring connections for the components you have changed, and check the outputs at the PCB connections with a multimeter, particularly from the programmer. Is your timeclock the factory fitted component or a remote unit? If the former, have you fitted the right part? There are several versions of the basic unit in the Worcester range, ranging from £40 for some gas units to £140 for the oil version. If a remote unit, then make sure you have selected the correct mode of operation.
You have still not answered if the HW works if only that is selected.

No, the hot water does not work if only that is selected when the tap is turned on.
The HW heats the heat tank up until thermostat is satisfied, then switches the boiler off. The heat tank does come up to temperature when asking for HW only. The problem being when the hot tap is turned on the diverter vavle moves immediately to port b acting in reverse order, at all times when the hot tap is turned on.

As Hairynipples pointed out …..Port a is Heating.

The valve is closed by spring pressure to portB for water demand.... It is a divertor not mid pos'n.
Have you fitted correct valve / actuator

Hi,
In the service manual for the Heatslave oil 12/18 it states under Diverter valve: 'Port A' is Domestic Hot Water and also the default position. 'Port B' is Central Heating.

Check the part no of the pcb is correct. I recall a problem I had some years ago where things worked in reverse and it was because I had the wrong pcb

Last edited:
Every diverter/ mid position valve is A Heating B hot water. Even my mum knows that

Every diverter/ mid position valve is A Heating B hot water. Even my mum knows that

Don't listen to your mum

Diverter.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back