"Grey water"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thinking of linking the waste water pipes (not toilet) to water storage butts.

Can I use the water from the washing up bowl, shower and sink to water my plants?

Is washing up liquid, shower gel, shampoo etc harmfull to plants or is it ok? Are there certain plants you avoid giving 2grey" water too?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, (wouldnt include sink unless you use some less harmful washing up liquid)

We have just done the same.
Evidently grey water is OK for flowers etc. but NOT OK for vegetables or food plants. We now use all our kitchen sink & bathroom waste water on the garden. (Couldn`t think how to get the solids out of the other Ha Ha)
JonB

Thanks for the quick responses.

We use Fairy or Persil washing up liquid, hopefully it's ok to use on garden in the water.

My main worry is the Butt filling up before I have a chance to use it all. Wont happen in weather like this, but come the winter.... :confused:

Sponsored Links
We actually have 2 butts. 1 butt is pure Rain water the 2nd is bathroom & a bucket for the kitchen.The bathroom & kitchen waste is all used the same day.
JonB

Im looking at doing the same thing but only with the water from the bath. Ive researched a bit on the net for the kits available to do it and apparently it is not advisable to use water from the kitchen sink.

The rule of thumb is, if its okay on your skin ie. shampoo and showergels then it is okay for the plants.

Washing-up liquid and Bleaches contains chemicals that are highly poisonous which can also be harmful to plants. Leaving the stuff on your skin for long periods of time can be harmful for some people which is why they sell marigolds in the market. It makes sense to me.

I'd use the bath water for the plants and the dish water for washing the car ;)

If you store grey water for any period its going to become foul. Make sure you use bio-friendly detergents if possible, and use as soon as you can.

I've read you should store it for 2 days max and occaisionaly wash out the butt with just (rain)water

there can be a lot of salt in detergents used for washing up liquid etc (also why you shouldnt wash your car or use it as a plasticiser in mortar) which is why it can be damaging for certain plants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back