Grid Switch for Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning ahead for a kitchen refurb in my house.

Currently have switched FCU's as isolators for all appliances (on a dedicated 'white goods' ring). In addition there are 3 double sockets, cooker switch, FCU for boiler and programmer for boiler. Its a small kitchen and looks very crowded with all the swtiches.

Had a thought about consolidating all the isolators into a grid switch with individual modules for Hob (ignitor), Fridge/Freezer, Dishwasher and washing machine.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've only ever seen the MK range in white. Whilst I wouldn't be opposed to using them it would be good to see if any other manufacturers had other colours and finishes available that would tie in with replacing the other sockets and cooker switch.

CHeers

Sponsored Links
Grid switches are available from various manufacturers in a wide variety of finishes.
It isn't necessary or desirable to have such things in a kitchen.

Grid switches are available from various manufacturers in a wide variety of finishes.
It isn't necessary or desirable to have such things in a kitchen.

When you have young children who like to press the buttons on the washing machine it can be good to have a means of isolation above the worktop!

I appreciate that isolators for all appliances isn't necessary however the house was wired with those FCU's all over the kitchen so it makes sense to me to tidy it up a bit with a grid switch.

I also appreciate that there are variety of finishes from different manufacturers available. What I don't know (other than the MK Logic) is whether the quality is there or not hence the reason for the post.

Sponsored Links
Careful with the click mini grid switches. The single module switches are only rated for 10A.

I'd stick with MK. They do the modules in black or white and have front plates to match just about every style you want.

Seriously - what makes them undesirable?
Adding multiple points of possible failure, all the load concentrated at a single location if they are connected on a ring, can be switched off accidentally depending on location, paying for things which will seldom/never be used.

Adding multiple points of possible failure
Negated by good workmanship and proper materials. Next.

all the load concentrated at a single location if they are connected on a ring
Negated if the design is done properly. Oh look, good workmanship again. Next.

can be switched off accidentally depending on location
Negated by not allowing idiots and the unthinking to play with switches. Next.

paying for things which will seldom/never be used.
Just like many other features of electrical installations. Next.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back