Grid switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Do all grid switches require a dedicated backbox? I’ve just purchased a Crabtree 1 gang yoke and a couple of switches to try out on a normal pattress box and managed to get the yoke fitted but then it was too deep for the cover plate to fit.

thanks

Sponsored Links
The LAP grid system from Screwfix does not need a plate in same way, the switches or sockets just click into place.
Thanks for that. Shame I’m not a fan of LAP.

Think I’ll just stick to the Crabtree capitol range for now, but chunky but good quality and price.

Sponsored Links
Often, particularly when using a surface pattress, you need to loosely screw the yoke so it just touches the edge of the pattress.

I think the tabs can go past the front edge of a surface pattress.

When you fit the cover it all tightens up nicely.

It may take a few attempts.

The grid stuff is not well designed to fit on surface pattress boxes, but can be done.

Leave the tabs bent in now you’ve done it. They aren’t really needed for a surface patress anyway.

You need to get the yoke screwed in to just the right depth by trial and error if you’ve not done it before.

It doesn’t matter if the yoke is flapping about when you start to screw the faceplate on. If it’s at the correct depth the front plate will tighten down onto the edges of the patress and stop any movement, while the grid modules will sit flush with the front plate.

The tabs would ideally rest flat onto the wall, if theres not enough wall , then what i do, usually with surface boxes, but would work with flush boxes, is slip some thin 4mm washers over the screws then you can get the grid yoke tight and not flapping about, it may take a few goes fitting the cover on and off till you get the spacing right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back