Grill element replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've got what I think is a simple question, but alas AEG/Electrolux won't answer me on H&S grounds!

I've got a replacement element, but the connections are slightly different. I've attached a photo of the old one.

Basically there are 4 connections, each with 2 spade connectors. There's 2 blue neutral wires that connect on the right and 3 white wires that connect on the left. On the new element, the left side only has 2 spade connectors, to which I'm supposed to attached 3 white wires.

So my question is, does it matter what side I connect to? Can I connect the blue neutral wires to the left and the 3 white wires to the right?

If not, what do I do with the spare white wire? I did try connecting it, leaving the spare one unconnected, but the element remained on albeit at a low heat, but it was warm.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Peter

PS> for some reason I couldn't upload the photo, hopefully the above expanation is good enough, but I will try again when I get home. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its a single circuit grill, it will be ok, but if its one half or full then no.

You need them connect properly, its a dual circuit element & could even be used as part of the 2nd oven heating (if there is a 2nd oven).
Have a look for a repair place as you have the element, you may find someone who will do it for £20/£30 it should be an easy job.

Sponsored Links
Get a photo of your old one posted on here,think you have to add it to an album.

Look at this ebay item 131334392517, this is what you need to connect two plugs onto one spade connector.

1st photo is as clear as mud!

Yes thats the part you need, if you read my previous post you will see thats exactly what the ebay item is.

Just connect the new element the same as the old element, either by using a piggy back connector or cut 2 of the connectors off the ends of the two wires and connect both wires into one female connector.
Either way its the same result.

Much better!

Actually you don't need a piggy back connector.

Connect the two blue wires onto the two 'open' ends of the new element.
With the white wires, cut off the one that simply loops from one connector to the other(the white wire loop in the first photo on the left element connection), you then only have 2 white wire connectors, these then connect to the element 'joined' end.

I already tried not connecting one of the white wires that loops. I just taped it up, but the element remained on. It wasn't glowing, but it was hot to touch

Everything off? Grill, oven etc...

Otherwise theres a fault elsewhere!

P.s. don't leave it taped up as a permanent measure as the heat will just eventually melt the tape off.

Yeah, everything off.

I ended up refitting the old one, which still works, it's just deformed and I thought I may as well replace it as I had to replace the oven element. The old one doesn't stay on when everything else is turned. That's why I put it down to the spare wire.

Think I'll have to get the connector and try it that way, although I don't really see what the wire is doing.

No dont understand as that white wire just loops between connectors so same as the new element except they are already joined.

Whats the resistance of the two elements on the old element and compare to the resistance of the two elements on the new element.

I think you will find that your old grill element has one failed ring and that there is in fact s fault elsewhere causing the element to stay on constantly If what you say is correct, plug switched on but all cooker front control knobs set to off.

I'll have to go buy some tools to check that out.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Will post if I sort it!

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back