Grind or rerender?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 103108
View media item 103107
Hi everyone, amateur DIYer here looking for a little advice. This is our neighbour's shed which backs onto our garden. I can only assume the previous owners here must have rendered it themselves as there is half a bag of now rock hard cement in our garden.

Do I re-render or can the unlevelness be ground out? What is the best disc to use if so? As you can see I have attempted to grind it but it didn't do much.

For context, I plan on painting it and making it into a massive chalkboard for my kids.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's for a chalkboard probably best to render it smooth...

Caveat, the photo does not appear to have been uploaded.

Blup

Thanks Blup tried again so photos now included!

I presume you have your neighbour's permission to both work on it, and use it as a chalkboard afterwards?

Sponsored Links
Is it some kind of party wall, or does it belong to your neighbour? If the latter, you can't do anything to it as it's not yours.

If you're going to use the black chalk board paint for your kids, surely you'd be better off battoning it out and using a marine grade ply to board it? End result after a few coats of paint would be much smoother than render and save you a fair bit of hastle. If it turns out that the wall isn't yours, simply use fence posts and some 3x2 to affix the ply to?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back