Grouch

when i was in America not once did they say "have a nice day" they were all very polite and often concerend that i didn't have a money off coupon for what ever it was they had i was buyng

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Said etiquette is a microcosm of the way people interact in all kinds of situations.

Exactly.........That is the real world, they will not all conform to your ideas.

Softus said:
However much you might dislike my style, or content, on the forum.

An assumption and incorrect.

Softus said:
However, I'd change supermarket without batting an eye, if I could just find one where all the assistants are sincerely pleasant and effectively helpful.

Our dreams are what keep us going.............. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
mlb3c, Argos is a catalogue store. All the merchanside is displayed in catalogues, and kept in grey boxes in the warehouse in each store. People choose what they want from the catalogue, write the number down and take it to the till to pay, and a picking ticket is printed in the warehouse. They they take their reciept (bill) to the collection counter and collect their goods when they have been picked by the picking staff. They sell such items as home electronics, storage, furniture (a lot on home delivery only as not all stores have big enough warehouses) garden accessories, toys, jewellery.

So many people couldnt understand the argos concept. They'd come to the collection counter with money and a catalogue number. :eek:

I think you meant ASDA, which was bought by wall-mart several years ago. Asda is a grocery supermarket company, also sell clothes and cheapo electronic equipment.

oops...
:oops:

but having said that, we used to have a similar store called Service Merchandise...was a little confusing at first...you would see all the merchandise in the store....but it was all "displays"...everyone walked around with a clipboard and a pencil and when you checked out and paid...you drove around back and picked up your stuff...I think they still have them ...some where. Yes..ASDA is the same as Walmart I think. Thanks!

asda is owned by walmart.

as for as you describe we have that too, its called McDonalds drive thru

I do like the american hospitality though - go into a restaurant and you have the same waiter / waitress throughout your visit. Here you get all the waiters asking you if you would like to order yet, when you've already ordered! This also makes tipping easier in America - as its based on one person's performance and you wish to make them feel more valued than you would if every waiter in the place had contributed to your visit. Here you just throw a couple of quid down regardless unless the service was particularly poor.

In shops etc, yes its insincere, but at least they are making a bit of effort. I've never said "have a nice day" unless it was sarcastic under my breath to a really stupid or arrogant customer.

Quote of the week:

"every time I come here I am overcharged!"

Silly old bint came in, and I grant her, was overcharged, a multibuy hadn't been deducted. She mentioned the above phrase, and I thought to myself "why the f*** keep coming here then!?" I gave her the difference back. Next day - yes, the VERY NEXT day she came in again, and bought THE VERY SAME ITEMS on which the multibuy hadn't worked the day before. However, I made damn sure I served her and made damn sure she wasn't overcharged. Awkward old cow. She must have no excitement in her life. I carried out the txn with a frown on my face, to mirror her face. She walks around like this: :mad: (the wind must have changed or something) And spends 10 minutes blocking the front door while she meticulously checks her reciept.

gcol said:
Bought some dumbells from Argos last week and whilst paying was warned that they were heavy. Bless.
Aye they have to read all the prompts on the EPOS. Were you offered a 4-way extension lead for £2.99? That was a popular one when I was there! Never sold one as a result though. :rolleyes: Sold plenty of extended warranties though. Suckers :LOL:

As unsincere as it may sound....most folks here (course there are exceptions) say...You have a nice day, now...and they really do mean it....and there is a difference between someone who truly enjoys working with people and providing a service than those who work "there" because they can't find anywhere else to work. I said before, and again, all I'm expecting is to be treated at the very least the way I treat you (or them)...I work for a living also...and my day isnt always happy go lucky and sometimes I'm in a bad mood and my feet hurt....but I need to be there...and they need to be there...so suck it up...be pleasant...make eye contact...or dont if you dont think you can muster it sincerely...and HAVE A NICE DAY!!!......yall :LOL:

pjholybloke said:
noseall said:
i like you Softus. at least you can string a sentence together.

I'll second that.
I`ll tri validate that, though you might have to editorialise it ..........Have a nice day

Sponsored Links
Back