Grouch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To any supermarket assistants reading this. Please, FFS, do not:

1. Start bundling my purchases past the scanner at a vast rate of knots before I've put the last thing on the belt and moved myself into the packing arena.

2. Tell me that you've had a hard day, when all you've done is sit down, press buttons, and move stuff from place A to place B (which is a place not very far from place A), and particularly when, for all you know, I've been clearing out manholes full of seven shades of someone else's sh*t.

3. Wrap my credit card in a little impenetrable parcel of receipts and vouchers, particularly when I have my hands full of the stuff that you've just sold me.

4. Lay any note(s) or receipts upon my open palm, and then weigh it/them down with the coins that make up the rest of my change, thus forcing me to put down whatever I'm holding so that I can remedy the galactically stupid situation that you've just created.

5. Complete the transaction without making eye contact.

All of these things are annoying beyond my ability to describe it.

Apart from all that, please do what the f*ck you like. Not too much ask, is it?

Sponsored Links
Softus.....
stresed.jpg

Er, no. I find it quite easy to be annoyed with supermarket assistants one moment and get on with my life the next. I just thought these were things that got missed out in training, and that it would be helpful if I pointed them out. ;)

Softus.....if I may add to your list...(which I whole heartedly agree with, btw)

Please refrain from telling me your woes of life/work....how much your feet hurt, and thank God you're getting off from work in 30 mins....

Sponsored Links
Actually shop assistants work hard and long hours in the supermarkets and it may look like an easy job operating a till but a lot of them suffer from back problems due to the nature of the job, apart from all the abuse they have to tolerate.
24 hour shopping hasn't helped either, so have some sympathy and don't lord it over them just because you may be a "Customer".

tim west said:
Actually shop assistants work hard and long hours in the supermarkets and it may look like an easy job operating a till but a lot of them suffer from back problems due to the nature of the job, apart from all the abuse they have to tolerate.
I see you've chosen to log in as "tim west" today. Well done.

Assistants don't work any longer or harder than I do. Their health is their own responsibility, not mine, and if back injuries are known to be an industry-related condition, then they should just stand up more of the time, or do whatever is necessary. :rolleyes:

And if they told me up front that they have no idea how customers like to be treated then I'd be quite happy to scan all the items myself. Clearly they're just pretending to have been well trained.

24 hour shopping hasn't helped either, so have some sympathy and don't lord it over them just because you may be a "Customer".
That's a crass statement loaded with assumptions. I'm perfectly civil and friendly with each and every assistant, even those who think I don't have a head, let alone a pair of eyes in it. If I go in late, especially if it's after 10pm, then I'm in the habit of thanking them for working out of hours. That isn't "Lording" it. And yet the only time they actually have to do anything that interacts with me, the majority of them f*ck it up. The fact that some of them do exactly the right thing demonstrates that all of them could. Women are the best ones for getting it right. Almost all of the blokes are an absolute shambles.

To any customer in a supermarket in front of me at the check-out reading this:

While the cashier is passing the items you just bought from one side of the till to the other, you can start packing straight away

When the cashier has swiped the last item you bought and tells you the amount due you can stop packing and should have your card, money, bonus card ready to hand over for processing.

While this is being done, you can restart packing.

When the cashier hands back your card and gives you your receipt and/or change you can stop packing.

Then, when you have no more dealing with the cashier you can start putting all your packed plastic bags into your trolley and MOVE AWAY!

Thank you.

Softus said:
I find it quite easy to be annoyed with supermarket assistants one moment and get on with my life the next. . ;)
THAT must be the secret of a long and happy life ;)

ricicle said:
Crafty.......................................
Yes, I shall comment here.

In reply to Softus' post . . .

1. <fast scanning>I also get annoyed by this, but I find not many cashiers do it, theres just a few. On the other extreme, one cashier at my local Morrisons is very slow. She must have worked there over a year now on the tills, and she picks up every item and looks slowly for the barcode / PLU number on the list, then gently places it down. This really does irritate me. Theres a reason the scanner has 2 windows at 90 degrees to each other - so you can slide things over it quickly!

2. <hard day>As the others have said, they might have had a hard day. I work on their side of the counter, Softus, and can tell you that supermarket customers can be very rude and awkward when they want to be. When you spend 5 hours at a time on the till, its the small things that get to you.

3. <wrapping reciepts>That would annoy me too. When I worked at argos, i noticed their reciepts for card txns are all on one slip - the card txn details are printed on the bottom of the main reciept, rather than a seperate voucher, as at my current employers.

4. <coins on notes>Pet hate of mine. I never do this and always try to pull the notes away once in my hand, before the cashier can place the coins on top. Giving coins first is better, as one can grasp the coins in your palm, then hold the notes between your index finger and thumb. The other way means you will likely screw the notes up with the coins inside and shove them in your pocket - paper money abuse is something else i hate. Nothing worse than having to flatten out and later count someones cruddy screwed up notes. Get a wallet, and use it!!!

5. <eye contact>Its essential to make eye contact. Not doing so puts the cashier at risk of selling to underage people etc.

I understand your frustration Softus, we all have bad experiences in shops, and all cashiers have bad days. There's even a website and forum for cashiers and store workers and general people who deal with customers. Read a bit of it and get some idea of the stupidity we deal with on a day to day basis!

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/

"particularly when, for all you know, I've been clearing out manholes full of seven shades of someone else's sh*t. "

Well here's hoping its full of supermarket checkout girls and boys ****e :LOL:

Good reply Crafty - I'm conscious that shop staff have a lot of rude and strange people to deal with, which is why I always do my best to treat you/them as I'd like to be treated myself. I'll have a look at the site you suggested...

Crafty, you mentioned Argos.....I think that is the same as Walmart here...
quick question
Do they have about 34 checkouts and only keep no more than 3 open at one time.....usually at the busiest times?

Oh...it occurred to me...in this day of self service, (we have more and more self checkouts at markets...you pump it petrol, etc...the younger crowd may not have a clue about customer service...I mean, I've had the pleasure to help a cashier "count" back change because the register was not the kind that indicated what it should be.....if some dont learn the value (literally) of money...I dont suppose they've been educated on customer service. The only thing I ask, is to at least treat me the way I treat you...I respect any one who has to deal with the public...it isnt for me....but usually the last thing I want to hear as I stop there on the way from work...is what a crummy day you are having and that you havent had your break yet and what a **tch someone is under your breath. There are rude people everywhere..not just markets.
:confused:

Softus said:
Shame you didn't Joe

Assistants don't work any longer or harder than I do.
Assumption No1
Their health is their own responsibility, not mine
Nice, Sympathetic soul aren't we!

And if they told me up front that they have no idea how customers like to be treated then I'd be quite happy to scan all the items myself. Clearly they're just pretending to have been well trained.
When I have worked out what that load of drivel means i'll reply to it.

That's a crass statement loaded with assumptions.
Assumption Number 2 well done Softus you assumed I was directing my comments at you when i was merely sticking up for the shop workers.

Women are the best ones for getting it right. Almost all of the blokes are an absolute shambles.

A superb Softus Crass statement, where's the evidence to support your claim?

tim west said:
Softus said:
Shame you didn't Joe

Assistants don't work any longer or harder than I do.
Assumption No1
Their health is their own responsibility, not mine
Nice, Sympathetic soul aren't we!

When I have worked out what that load of drivel means i'll reply to it.

Watch now timwest you dont seem to be part the softus cliche :LOL:

That's a crass statement loaded with assumptions.
Assumption Number 2 well done Softus you assumed I was directing my comments at you when i was merely sticking up for the shop workers.

Women are the best ones for getting it right. Almost all of the blokes are an absolute shambles.

A superb Softus Crass statement, where's the evidence to support your claim?

Watch now timwest you dont seem to be part the softus cliche :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back