Ground anchors/bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have secured a length of steel to my garage floor with these bolts to which my bikes will be chained and locked.I'm looking to prevent the nut from being removed now they are in situ, for security reasons, can anyone offer advice please.There is about half inch of thread above the nut.

Sponsored Links
You can get bolts where the head shears off once tightened, but if that's too late, consider grinding the nut corners off with an angle grinder. That'll stop spanner thieves but just conceivably Mole grips would get it undone - unlikely though.
Another move is to replace the threaded part with an allen bolt - and a ball bearing pressed into the hexagon head makes removal nigh on impossible.
John :)

You could also put some strong epoxy e.g. JB Weld on the thread then tighten the nut - I'd go for the slower curing JB Weld original though - the 5 minute stuff isn't as strong, the slow stuff is rated to 4000lb/in² tensile strength.

Thanks to both, good ideas.Sadly I've got the bolts in place so can't go with first option but think I'll epoxy the threads and then grind corners off nuts too. Great cheers lads.

Sponsored Links
Can't you peen over the thread on the stud with a hammer so the nut won't unscrew?

Put a short sleeve of plastic or metal pipe over over bolts and fill with rapid cement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back