ground source project so far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just in the process of completing the installation of my ground source heat pump! it's been over 18 months in the planing stages, talking to people or should i say trying to talk to them? it seems that they all want to fit you a system for a very large fee or to just tell me to get lost, is it really a ground source mi5 out there?.
but for all you guys out there looking at fitting a system so far fitting it its not been that bad! during the 18 months i've talked and trodden on a lot of toes of a lot of fitters and suppliers but i think it will all be to my advantage in the end, took info from them all wedeled out the bullshit and off i went, the heat pump i'm fitting is a IVT E7 with over 1100m of ground collector pipe in 4 loops in a system of my design i've called vinkys, taking the rayhoue helix design and making a simular design out of mdpe, this is 3 vertical coils in each loop, each vinky is 75m of 35mm mdpe pipe coiled in 1m diameter loops about 2m tall, got a brilliant digger driver who dug all 12 4m deep holes and the adjoining trenches in a 8 hour day costing me £350 hire for digger and driver, although i've enouth ground to of used slinky's it woud of ment ruining a established garden and posibly geting into the ceptic tank and outflo area?
one of my main concerns is freezing the ground as the person i purchased the heat pump from had just that happen to them thus they was forced to sell the pump, there ground collectors were in the front garden and during the cold spell at the beginning of the year they returned from holiday to find the water board diging the road up outside the front of there house, the pump had not only froze there garden and drive but also permutated out into the street and froze the main water pipes to the rest of the road!, to hopefully stop any freezing of my garden i've put another loop of 100meters of 25mm mdpe pipe between the tiles and felt on the roof to back feed warm solar heated water into the ground loops thus recharging the ground, as one person said u must use the ground as a battery the more you can recharge it the better the pump will work, also down one vinky i have a tube where i can drop a temp sensor to see what the ground temp is at any time of the year ,oh it was 17c at 4meters in september during the dig!
over the next few weeks i've got to get the tails from the garden into the house connected to the pump and the collectors filled, but at the moment with the bad weather they are under a preasure check of air at 2 bar
i know im not the first to install a heat pump but would just like to put minds at rest of others who are thinking of fitting there own system and i think there may be a few ideas in the above read, i have some photos if you would like to see the project so far?

Sponsored Links
Absolutely yes, love to see pictures!

Also interested in honest and independent views, mistakes and figures from somebody who isn't trying to sell me something. As you say, awful lot of money being made very quickly from green power vendors from people who haven't done the maths or can't find accurate numbers.

At that sort of density, I would think you guaranteed to freeze the ground.

Sponsored Links
He states his design is based on the Rehau helix design with large bore diameter holes which I assume are poured with either a cementitious or bentonite grout.

just in the process of completing the installation of my ground source heat pump! it's been over 18 months in the planing stages, talking to people or should i say trying to talk to them?

it seems that they all want to fit you a system for a very large fee or to just tell me to get lost, is it really a ground source mi5 out there?.

but for all you guys out there looking at fitting a system so far fitting it its not been that bad! during the 18 months i've talked and trodden on a lot of toes of a lot of fitters and suppliers

Its very obvious to me that all you wanted was to call installers round solely to give you free advice! Hopefully a few of them realised that and told you politely where to go.

Others would have been so short of work that they would have overlooked you obvious intentions and carried on educating you when there was no chance of getting any work from you.

Its free loaders like you that make me use my time efficiently by NOT going out to give people free advice. I will do that on the phone but not at their site where they just want my free advice and never have any intention of giving me any work to do.

i know im not the first to install a heat pump

You can say that again.

I'm going to post some pictures of a novel way of boiling an egg, using a different shaped saucepan I bought for almost nothing on ebay. Everyone has so far been using the wrong saucepan, so I am going to enlighten you all.

If he already has gas at the property it would be interesting to hear his explanation, including figures, of how he is going to benefit from this system!

As far as I can see he is most likely to get 48 m³ of frozen earth and no heat in the house.

Tony

Frozen earth & no heat = his own personal fight against global warming, how very environmentally friendly :D

ah i see, so its a fine art to getting the right amount of pipe work in the ground.

not just chucking as much pipe in the ground as possible.

He states his design is based on the Rehau helix design with large bore diameter holes which I assume are poured with either a cementitious or bentonite grout.

1 mtr x 4 mtrs of grout are you mad :eek: The rehau system is 380 MM diameter backfilled with soil

ah i see, so its a fine art to getting the right amount of pipe work in the ground.

not just chucking as much pipe in the ground as possible.

An ideal area for the collector loops would be twice the footprint of the property, in shade free ground, and definitely no trees or services.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back