Ground Source Heating Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's one for you fellas. i've been researching to no avail!

i'm building a new house and want to install ground source heat pump. i want to cut out the midddle man by buying and installing myself, but cannot get anybody to tell me what thickness and length of pipe i need. also is it mdpe or some other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
failling that e mail doitall he is right into this malarky ;)

Thank you Kev :cool:

Mdpe is what we use, but it isn't as simple as chucking a load of pipes in the ground.

Too many and you will get a permafrost, whereas too little will not give the heat required. The system needs to be taylor made around the property.

As Kevin said if you email me (in my profile) we can work out what you need and supply only a package, together with the backup which you will need.

If Dan Robinson logs in he explain exactly what problems need to be addressed before you start.

Rules forbid me putting our web site on the forum. but it doers contain all the information you need.

Sponsored Links
philberto wrote

i want to cut out the midddle man by buying and installing myself

Most company's are not willing to allow their heat pump be installed on a diyed ground loop.
I assume you are installing UFH ?.
I seen 3 loops of 40mm installed recently for a new build. Forget what length, though they looked to be around 200m each.
It looked like mdpe but cannot say for certain. It was dedicated groundsource pipe and looked very tough even though the wall was pretty thin.
I tried to pierce a hole in it by hacking at it using a sharp stone and no chance. You'd need a machete.

Doitall wrote

Too many and you will get a permafrost,

You've got that wrong Doitall. Oversizing is not a problem with regard to the groundloop other than exceeding the pumping capacity.
If your getting permafrost then the loop is either undersized or not spaced correctly.

The pipe for the loops are normally 32mm MDPE and each loop a maximum 100m (the length of a standard roll) any longer and you can get circulation and balancing problems.

The loops all return to a manifold, and then two pipes back to the unit.

Balenza said:
Doitall wrote

Too many and you will get a permafrost,

You've got that wrong Doitall. Oversizing is not a problem with regard to the groundloop other than exceeding the pumping capacity.

Don't advice on something you obviously don't know balenza.

You take too much out of the ground and you will kill it. PERMAFROST, when that happens the efficientcy nose dives, and you can only hope the ground will recover over several months.

What you take out has to be replaced by the sun and rain, which is why you need an area roughly twice the footprint of the building of unshaded ground.

Thats interesting Doitall.
This one has no manifold just a flow and return splitting into three loops using t's and no balancing valves . :(
Its up and running now and from what I can gather is giving no problems. But time will tell.
It was this company's first install. :(

doitall said:
Rules forbid me putting our web site on the forum. but it doers contain all the information you need.

BUT, They also say you can put your website in your profile

Balenza said:
philberto wrote

i want to cut out the midddle man by buying and installing myself

Most company's are not willing to allow their heat pump be installed on a diyed ground loop.

The Company design and supply only, with a start to finish backup, and final commission all in one package.

Our sister Company can/does install when required.

Doitall wrote

You take too much out of the ground and you will kill it

Oversizing the loops will NOT result in taking too much out of the ground.
Indeed quite the opposite.

Balenza said:
Thats interesting Doitall.
This one has no manifold just a flow and return splitting into three loops using t's and no balancing valves . :(
Its up and running now and from what I can gather is giving no problems. But time will tell.
It was this company's first install. :(

So what heat pump have they used, and the Kw output.

What is the brine mixture percentage and whats it heating.

Is there a back up.

Balenza said:
Doitall wrote

You take too much out of the ground and you will kill it

Oversizing the loops will NOT result in taking too much out of the ground.
Indeed quite the opposite.

Didn't say it would.

I said taking too much out of the ground, as in too much pipe in a given area.

As I said the standard roll is 100m having joints 1200mm under the ground is not to be recommended.

Doitall wrote

So what heat pump have they used, and the Kw output.

The name has escaped me at the moment as its not one of your more familiar ones.
The output is 18KW.

What is the brine mixture percentage

ER dont know. :(

and whats it heating

My brother's luxury new build. All 3500sq feet of it or there abouts.

Is there a back up.

Nope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back