Grout depth OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had some new polished porcelain tiles laid (60 x 30cm) by a tiler. I'm not sure if the grout is too low (about 1mm) but they said it was a special effect to accent the brick layout. I don't know anything about tiles but would have expected it to be flush with the tile surface.

I found on cleaning the tiles yesterday, dust and small bits of dirt gets trapped in between the tiles and was a bit of a pain to get out. What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Definitely wrong. Grout lines should be struck level and faintly rounded/recessed - use a soft stick with a rounded end to strike the setting grout just before it firms up. Some architects want grout to be flat level with the tile on floors and walls.

I wouldn't particularly say it's wrong, more of a preference, and in his professional opinion probably think it looks better. Which I get where he's coming from. it's not an issue if you wanted to grout ontop the existing grout to build the level up.

Sponsored Links
Its wrong. A professional does the job according to best practice, not personal eccentric preference.

These are floor tiles, and with constant washing and cleaning the sunken grout lines will soon be dirty & discoloured.

It is an issue to now attempt to fill in the grout with a thin layer of new grout - grouting should be done in one application. If done now some of the new grout might not take, and will possibly get pulled out with successive washings & floor traffic.

robato,
Dont seal the grout, leave the grout alone for a month say, and only dry sweep the floor. Then when the initial grout has pretty well dried you could attempt another layer of the same grout. Then seal the grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back