Grout for slabs (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking to tart up our dated swimming pool but not sure what to do. Grateful of any help. We have a pool which is semi submerged and patio slabs surround it. We've pressure washed the slaps this weekend and it's blown away all the old cement/grout. It's left about an inch gap between each tile and it's a trip hazard.

We took on the house a couple of years ago and and this is the first time we've been able to look into making it nice. It's quite a sizeable area, pool is approx 25ft x 11 with approx 5 large slabs around all, and a further 5 at one end.

We'd like to do it ourselves, keep the cost down but also want it durable enough for light power wash and keeps the weeds out.

Any ideas what's best to use?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say slabs do mean paving slabs 2x2' or 3'x2' or are they large pieces of poured concrete?

If they are stable and not rocking then repoint but if they are rocking or uneven you may need to relay them as pointing will simply fail again if they are moving at all.

You can either use a semi dry/ moist mix (not to be confused with a totally dry mix brushed in and watering canned which will never last but is recommended by various idiots and diy guides online) put in with a trowel and ironed with a jointer.

Or use a wet mix inserted with a gun

Or use a proprietary slurry applied product which start with one parts like marshalls weatherpoint and go up to resin based 2 parts like rompox d1 or gtfk vdw. These are very little work and straightforward in comparison to mortar but are very expensive.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

They are paving slabs yes - 2'x2'. They are pretty study. No sign of movement. My main concern is that the space between them is a least an inch. We're not keen on the dry mix don't worry. I don't think it would last. I need to be able to hose it down in the summer and pressure wash it from time to time.

The slurry mix with certainly be quicker but.... and I'll certainly have a look at getting the wet mix gun too. What sort of ratio would we need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the joints are big slurry could be very expensive. If your using a gun then use 3.5 : 1 - plastering sand : cement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back