Grout problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
January 2013 I tiled my bathroom. Went for "sensation" tiles from topps which have a soft sheen finish with high gloss wavy lines down them. Went with the grout they supplied as default, which needed mixing up. I suspect I mixed it too dry and this has caused my problems in the shower.

Pictures:

Pictures taken just after a shower when the tiles and grout are their wettest and the colour darkest.

I am considering stripping the tiles off back to the first grout line to the right of the bath - but this is if I can get a clean line against that column of tiles. If not its going to be to the corner and I'll finish up retiling half the bathroom. . .

At the left side I'll take the tiles back to the window edge trim (where they butt up to the trim, the trim is bedded under the other edge thankfully).

Is there any other solution? I did notice previously on the old tiling the tiles had been "regrouted" at some point, so that the grout was level with the tiles. It looked a bit rough though, only had been done in the shower.

If I do redo the tiling I'll make the grout nice and runny!! I was scared of making it too sloppy, hence the cracking because it was too dry. When I did the floor the grout was a lot wetter and it went off beautifully, no cracking after 20 months on a wooden floor!

Sponsored Links
If you redo the grout I suggest you use ready-mixed brilliant white anti-mould stuff. Various people make it including Evostik I think.

Grouts sometimes need mixing - powder to liquid - and then left a few minute to steep. Then mixed again, and then left again to steep for a few more minutes again. Its now ready for use. Carefully read the packs.

With a thin 125mm a/grinder blade you can cut back the grout. Or use one of them multi cutters.

Its the usual practice to silicone the inside corner - not to grout it.

It would be an expensive shame to demo such a good tile job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back