grout remove with a dremel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have a dremel 3000 and have purchased the drill bit which is designed to remove grout, have the 1.7 and 3.2mm one (I think) with the attachment tool. Think i may need more of these as I've heard they'll blunt quick??

my questions is, what do i use to remove any grout that has stuck to the edges of the tile? a flat head screw driver or polish it off with my dremel?

I know i dont need to drill out all the grout perfectly but enough so the new grout hides the old one. I'm removing black grout and re-grouting it with white, I have 3 toilets to do lol

any tips appreciated!

Sponsored Links
3 toilets to do.......... :LOL:

Best off luck there bud..... :LOL: :LOL:

Hope your charging accordingly....lol...not for me...

Ps
How many bits you got?...

Yer going to rip thro them.....then when you get paid?.....you will say to yourself......ain't f @ & £ ( ; ?

Doing that ever again.... :LOL: :LOL:

Bosch multitool [p180] is easier to use and control.You can get a hand grout removal tool for any awkward bits.

Sponsored Links
I have to admit, assuming the job is to freashen up old grout, ive found raking it out with a manual grout rake as fast as anything. You dont need to get it all out, just enough to re skim it.

Infact when I did the shower I just went over the top of most of it, only raking out the mouldy failed grout.

Daniel

bosch 180 or fein multimaster, simple and quick and the discs last for ages, hope you arent charging by the hour using a dremmel mate, a hand rake would probs be quicker than the dremmel anyway

lol at the comments.

its my own house and i'm not in this trade.

completed 1 room so far, worn out 1 of them drill bit bought another to finish off (£12!) and to do the edges, decided I need to go bit deeper for the grout to bond properly and prefer it not to crack.

So i took the 1st drill bit which was only blunt at the top and use a cutter and took half of it off leaving the other unused part and it was just like new!

other 2 room are similar sized rooms so prob need another 2 drill bits, took me around 6 hours with some breaks and messing about. Easy to do but takes time as 2 pass is better than 1 and its very dusty! (i wear a mask).

BTW, the grout was black, when i removed some, it was actually grey so dont know how the hell it became like that.

not sure if skimming is good enough as its 2 different grouts, best do it properly.

Hat off to you fuzzyone.... ;)

When re grouting maybe look into an epoxy grout....then you won't get water ingress....discolouring off grout....

too late!

using the unibond white floor grout with anti mould property.

The grout doesnt seem very white once dried, looks peach or pale white, there dont seem to do an 'ice white' version, only in the repair one.

Not very happy since i spent ages doing them! still have the last bathroom to grout, may just use the remaining to keep the color consistant in all 3 rooms. :(

question, one of the bathroom's new grout have little cracks and dips, grout was applied in the cold weather so would of taken very long to dry and moisture problem played a part, can i simply add grout on top to fill in the slight dips and cracks?

or am i better off using one of those grout revivers? theres a pen version and one from a tube. I'm leaning towards the grout in a tube version?

my tiles are white but the grout looks sand color, its light grey-ish/white from the grout in the pot but once dried it kinda looks light sand color. :oops:

Also my dremel 3000 is now 'broken', the lock chuck seems to not beable to unlock/rounded so i cant get my grout remove tool out.

Will be going back to B&Q for an exchange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back