Grouting levels?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be tackling the grouting soon on the floor tiles i laid.. these are all 300mm ans have a slight bevelled edge. before i get stuck in, how easy is it keeping the grout to the bottom of that bevel.. whats the best way to achieve that.. do you get it there with the sponge wipes, or will the flex in a squeegee help that? Or is it just a mare and you have to rub all the edges down gradually until it looks right?

:)

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to use a grout float and a washboy.
Have a look on this site for the tools.
http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tradetiler_tile_cutter_grouting.html
You should really get the grout float. Instead of a washboy, you can use a damp (not dripping wet..... DAMP) mop to clean the grout from the tile surface. The old fashioned mops that have a kind of rope/string head work well. But a washboy makes it a doddle. Just don't leave it too long before you clean it off the tiles.

thanks but i went with a plain old rounded songe and bucket of water in the end.. it's a pretty small area, 3 or 4msq and went much easier than i was expecting given a lot of posts. Just wiping with the sponge gave a nice smooth finish to the low bevel line.. pukka!

One other query though, should i use caulking for the edges, or can they be grouted too.. the outside edges up against the skirting?

Sponsored Links
Does it not need something flexible to allow expansion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back