Grouting Timber Frame Sole Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am faced with the tedious task of grouting the 2 -5mm space under the sole plate of my Timber Frame. Has any one found a quick and easy way to do this?
I am considering using a self leveling floor compound and using the DPC to form a 'gutter' into which I pour the compound and let it flow through the gap under the sole plate, Stoppping it on the other side from flowing out. Any comments?
'

Sponsored Links
Suppose your self levelling compound all runs down to one end? I note you have a minimum gap of 2mm under the sole plate. what is holding it up? I would raise it to a gap of greater then 6mm and just point it using a 6mm striking iron.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks Newboy - it would appear that using self leveling compund as a free flowing grout would solve the problem.

Woody - Why? - because my Timber frame Supplier has put spacers to level the soleplate because my Groundworkers didn't provide a completly level groundplate and I cannot leave the TF supported soley by the packers.

The princeofdarkness - jacking a 18m square TF building 6mm ain't on.

Woody - Why? - because my Timber frame Supplier has put spacers to level the soleplate

No, why do you need to grout it when the packers are doing the packing?

You would certainly not need to grout such a narrow gap. The frame won't be affected.

I see what you mean - the TF Co have said I should I assume because they have only used a few packers and also for air tighness. They said I should use sand & cement and push it in with a trowel like repointing a wall!

Expanding foam and/or mastic will deal with the gap for air tightness. Grouting is pointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back