Grouting tips!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Has anyone got any novel ideas or tips that make grouting a tiled floor less messy? Such as something on the lines of those things that put icing on cakes?

At the moment I mix up the grout and apply it into the gaps with a spreader and use my finger to give it some shape. I do about a meter or two at a time. I wait about 20 minutes then start cleaning the area up

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its only a diy job you need one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32953/Hand-Tools/Tiling-Tools/Forge-Steel-Grout-Spreader

and one of these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95428/Hand-Tools/Tiling-Tools/Dual-Purpose-Grout-Sponge-Pack-of-4

Push the grout into the gaps with the spreader then drag as much off the face of the tiles as you can,depending on the grout leve for about 15 mins then clean with the sponge and plenty of clean water.

I have tried a similar idea to what your suggesting,I used and old caulk tube,cleaned it and filled with mixed grout then pumped it into the joints.
It is less messy but takes longer.

since they do ready mixed grout in tubs, why can't they do it in tubes already..? save a lot of hassle..

and as someone who tried one of those spreaders.. don't bother..
get a rubber float instead.. much better..

Sponsored Links
If you are unsure,then mix and spread a smaller amount at a time.
Key is the angle of your grout float. Spread usually with trowel at around 45 degrees,pushing grout into gaps. Then go over floor again with trowel at a steeper angle... nearly 90 degrees, press on hard using the very edge of the float to scrape away all the excess. It is then easier to clean off & also you waste less grout !
Takes practice,but great when you get the hang of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back