Grrundfos Pump Intermittent Failure & Very noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background I have a Grant Vortex 36E Oil fired boiler. Two Grundfos pumps inside; one for the rads & one for the hot water.

The Problem The pump on the hot water circuit is making a howling noise when I run hot water. But not always. The hot water pump has, and as far as I know, always has been set to the max pump rate III (I & II are the other pumping options on the side).
I used a coin at the back of the pump (first photo below) to release any possible air trapped and then tightened back up again. I couldn't detect that any trapped air was released as I did this.
It's still making the same howling noise when water flow demands pumping, though, as I said, not always.
If I turn the pump rate, on the side of the pump, down to II or I when a hot water tap is running, the pump goes silent and sounds like it stops pumping and the hot water eventually runs cold.
Sometimes the hot water pump works properly and does not howl, and delivers hot water, other times it howls and does not pump.

Scroll forward to 1 min 2 secs to hear the howling sound my pump makes.
The video does not show my pump though the photos are my pump.

Question Is the pump servicable?

Photos attached

15_scaled_IMG_20180618_191640.jpg
15_scaled_IMG_20180618_191652.jpg
15_scaled_IMG_20180618_191728.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back