GTO runs again!.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Took some time for myself today and visited an old friend.

She's been stood idle for 2 (probably 3 or more!) years and needs a bit of TLC.

Drained tank down, purged fuel lines and filled with Long Life Petrol.

Manual rotated crankshaft 4 turns as they have a habbit of jumping timing.

10 seconds cranking and fired straight up!.

Need to service brakes next Sunday then hopefully in for MOT, been too long..

20210822_160359.jpg

20210822_160721.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've always had mixed feelings about these, I can never decide if I like them or not.

I like the idea of them, but don't think I could ever own one, I've had a couple of chances to purchase them in the past, I had a customer that serviced a lot of them.

It's one of them cars that I knew would consistently Hurt my wallet. There is a fair amount to go wrong with active aero and 4 wheel steer, (unless your lucky enough to have the Mr version).

The later EU spec ones had more power and a stronger gearbox.from factory.

The engines a bit of a bugger to work on,. It probably no worse than most modern cars.

No worse working on one of these than most motorcycles now imho.

Mines got a fair bit more poke than stock, they were underpowered from the factory imho.

Bit of a marmite car and yes they can be high maintenance if you buy a bad one.

Apart from roasting clutches drag racing and blowing an engine up on nitrous (neither of which are the cars fault) mines been good as gold.

Some aren't prepared to do the proper maintenance and that's where it goes wrong.

Even just working on it today I had a 10 minute chat with a bloke delivering parcels to next door, they are an interesting car if nothing else!.

Supposedly they were faster than skyline R32 gtrs in a straight line.

They tune well, don't take a lot to get more power out of them.

Rob at evil empire used to dislike starlet owners as they would buy up stocks of the td04L (think equivalent to 13t) turbos from Subaru's. They are a decent upgrade for very little money on these and were factory on euro spec cars. They produced more power with lower intake temps than the jap and us versions. Story says that mitsubishi was worried about the cars being used on German autobahns and the cars failing due to increased stress on the components.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I run hybrid TD04-16g's (a guy in America built them).

1000 Bosch EV High Impedance injectors.
Twin Walbo 255 fuel pumps
Braided PTFE fuel lines.
Twin feed billet fuel rails.
Bespoke Front Mount Intercooler.
Gm Hotwire MAF in blow through setup.
Sytech twin entry Fuel Presure regulator
Emanage Ultimate with direct injector control and ignition control.
Hotwired ignition coils + HKS DLI.
MAF Translator (GM Hotwire MAF to Karman Hz adapter).

On M20 fuel it hits 2 bar boost above 4500 rpm (you wouldn't get near that on normal petrol though).

The Blow Through MAF was a swine to tune for but once it's done it's very reliable and repeatable.

I log Knock and Fuel pressure along with everything else, all road tuned buy me (months if not years of work to get it just right!).

Nice.

Yeah 2 bar boost on then turbos is just got air, I see why can only run that on M20 fuel.

The japs used to make tuneable engines, not a lot of mods can get huge power increases

Yeh it will run 20psi on normal petrol but it's significantly quicker at 29 on Methanol blends.

I'm putting it back to a useable road car, had an OS Giken R3C tripple plate billet clutch in but that was horrific for road use, looking into getting some carbon plates made up for it at some point rather than the cerametallic ones it comes with.

What is long life petrol, Keith?

It's called Aspen 4, it's made from condensing the gasses when they crack crude oil into petrol.

It looks pure when pouring, £80 for 25l but will ensure if my car is stood for long periods it won't wreck the fuel system.

"Aspen alkylate petrol is virtually free from sulphur, benzene and solvents making it less harmful than regular petrol. You are breathing much cleaner air when working with your power tools and with these ingredients removed, the odour produced is minimal freeing you from the headaches this can cause.

Aspen keeps your machines protected in use and in storage, starting easier, giving maximum performance and staying fresh for years. Regular petrol contains ethanol which is known to cause harm to small petrol engines. Aspen is ethanol free thus extending engine life and reliability.

Aspen contains significantly less harmful and toxic hydrocarbons which therefore reduces the impact your machinery makes on the environment."

Keith, you know too much. Does your head hurt when you wake up with all this knowledge floating around in there?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

Keith, you know too much. Does your head hurt when you wake up with all this knowledge floating around in there?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andy

I've been waking up at 3.30am recently, I think my brain might be full up now!.

I never went to University due to a few (family) reasons, my 6th Form tutor said that was a waste and it think he's right.

He said "you'll end up being the person at the end of the street that everyone asks for advice", word for word. He couldn't have got it more right!.

Thought the point in the multi plate clutches was that they weren't as hard to drive as a paddle clutch.

I always wanted an os giken in my starlet, but the exedy paddle clutch I ended up with was significantly cheaper and lighter and could handle the power, although it was about like a switch it was either on or off, which made traffic driving a bit crap, but lucky it was a 2nd car so tended not to drive it in situations of traffic too often

The pedal us very light on the RC3, it's designed to put up with repeated launching and abuse.

The Green cover (mine) is rated to 1500/ 2000 ftlb I believe.

Driving it is fine but it chatters when setting off normally.

I've been through a fair few clutches drag racing, managed to melt a 4 puck paddle clutch..

I'd like to try the R3C with carbon disks eventually, but not top of my list at the moment..

If you look at the friction plates you can see how it's been cut to promote more pressure, but unfortunately for normal road use it's too good!.

Sponsored Links
Back