GU 10 problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright

I have seen a couple of topics about GU10's being well not so good, but I am having a bit of bother. I have fitted 2 fittings into the kitchen with 4 GU10's on each running off 1 switch. Every couple of days a bulb blows. I have changed them from 50W to 35W yesterday and this morning another on has bit the dust. Yet "touch wood" all the other fitting s in the house which have GU10 on them have lasted 3 to 4 years. Any advice would be great, could it be the switch, and what does 10AX on it mean. Thanks again

Ellogg

Sponsored Links
I was having this same problem a while back. We have GU10 bulbs fitted into the kitchen ceiling and every week at least one of the bulbs would go bang when the light switch was switched on.

At first I thought there was a problem with the wiring but I have been told that the problem arises when you use the cheaper Wilko's type bulbs.

Ive replaced ours with "Phillips" bulbs which cost a bit more but I've had no problems since (touch wood!) ;)

I second the cheap lamp theory. I have seen GU10s as cheap as £3 for 12! I would expect to pay £2 - £3 per lamp for a good brand such as philips or osram.

The 10AX on your switch refers to the amount of current it can switch.
This is rated properly for the amount of current your lights use.

Rob

check the contacts on the lamp - does it twist in nice and tight? If its loose it could be creating unnessecary resistance and building up more heat - which will shorten lamp life.

Sponsored Links
I'd say its a combination of Poor quality bulbs and excess steam from kettle/pan etc getting into the bulbs or their fittings.

Try branded bulbs in your kitchen, and keep your naff ones for the other locations!! And point the bulbs away from the appliances instead of directly above them. looking down on them and see how it goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back