Guarantee?

O

oompah

Back in march i upgraded my orange contract and phone,the phone has now stopped working so i rings up orange and they told me because it is more than 6 months old it is not covered by them but under the manufacturers guarantee ok says I.So I sat there thinking is this right so i rings consumer direct and they inform me that as orange supplied the phone with the contract they are under the (The supply of goods and services act 1982)responsible.So I rings orange back and informs them of this, they repeat the 6 months tale so i ask them where it is in the terms and conditions to which the guy on the phone said it is written there somewhere,so i have asked him to look and ring me back when or if he finds them. Any one else had problems getting phones repaired under contract?

Sponsored Links
I am with t mobile which i got from car phone warehouse. Phone about 11 months old into 18 month contract ,just stops working would not even turn on so took it into shop and they had me a new one the next day no hassle at all .

Girlfriend had a similar problem with O2 a few years ago.

At the time I suspected it was because O2 no longer stocked the model and would be too much hassle for them to source.

Didn't bother to try and fight though on that occasion, because I had a spare handset and the faulty one was cack anyway

Did you take out any other insurance or just relied on cpw to replace it.I went into a orange shop and got the same speel about 6 months, but i could take out an insurance to cover any repairs,no thank you.Going to ring again in a hour to keep badgering.

Sponsored Links
Nope no insurance cover at all .Did expect them to say i would be without it for weeks and be sent away but he just tried it asked if i had tried it on mains and with another battery which i had .
Apologised that they didn`t have one in stock and would tomorrow be ok

Just been on to orange again and they are now saying the six months would have been explained if i had asked for insurance as it is in their terms and conditions for sales of insurance.So we keep going around in circles,but can send the phone away to samsung and get it repaired /replaced under manufacturing guarantee.I'm gone keep on with orange because as i see it and with the advise from consumer direct its their responsibility.

Remember call centres are staffed by these

images

It is the seller of the goods, not the manufacturer, who is responsible.

Have a look here

Click

Your rights when things go wrong
If you buy goods from a trader and they are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or don't match their description, the trader will probably have to put things right. It is the trader who is responsible for this, and not the manufacturer. If a trader tells you the manufacturer is responsible, or that you have to make a claim on a manufacturers' guarantee, you do not have to accept this.

But how do I convince orange that they are responsible it'll turn out expensive to keep phoning their premium lines.

I find that these matters are best dealt with in writing, with the heading "Formal Complaint".
There are some sample letters here

arggh, don't get me started. o2 "sent my phone away for repair" the other day. yes, sent it away, like it's a frivolity I don't really need, not that I'm running a goddam business here or anything. why am I paying "insurance" FFS?

Orange really took the biscuit though, back in '02 I'm paying about £140/month on contract and they took 10 days to get me a new phone. You'd have thought they'd have said "this guy spends lots so we get him new phone double-quick" and lashed out all of £4 for special delivery but no, 10 days, so I cancelled the contract then they kept alternately threatening to sue me for £50/ asking me if I'd like another phone.

oompah, sometimes the manufacturer has a deal with the retailer to handle repairs etc on their behalf. Have you contacted them to find out.

Example, I bought a shower from a well known internet retailer and it has gone pop after 6 months, they have refered me to the manufacturer (Triton) who will send an engineer out to check the unit over and repair/replace it as required. Now I could insist that the supplier sorts it out but this system seems better to me.

Samsung have put me in touch with a local guy who is authorised to do their phones under manufacturers guarantee.I wont let go with orange though especially when the contract is coming to an end.So if any one is with a contract with orange and the phone is part of the package orange only cover for 6 months unless additional insurance is taken out.

I have one of their fridge/freezers and it died after 14 months - was not a happy bunny. Decided to call Samsung anyway and they said that it had a 2 year warranty - happy bunny again. Had a look on their warranty page because I have a 12 month old Samnsung TV and wondered whether that was the same, it wasn't but noticed that their phones were.
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/warrantyinformation/warrantyInformation.do

Sponsored Links
Back