Guess the age of the wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buying an old house. 1920 ish
No electric safety records avail, although, its not the original owners selling (they passed away, this is their kids selling)

Surveyor suggest full electrical safely check and budget for a rewire. Although most of the survey suggests to replace things, that I think is just arse covering.

The house has been unsympathetically rewired at some point - all light switches are fed with cables in wall mounted upvc trunking (with gaps cut through the original ceiling coving and picture rails). Same with plug sockets. All are the cheapest, bulkiest white plastic switches and sockets.

Not sure if the plastic light switches were used because there's no earth, or, if the cheapest possible job was done on the rewrire. It was paid for by pensioners.

The consumer unit has RCDs, and a notice warning that both old and new style wiring cable colours are present.

The new cable colours was made mandatory in 2006, so the rewire was before then.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to when the house was rewired?
c3e7e3aeedac0532f6016e4359440a4c1ae7e6f7.jpg

Doesn't really matter, as I'll get it checked, and if it needs it, we'll do it.

Still curious to hear what you experts think age wise.

Sponsored Links
That consumer unit is from between 2002 and 2007 by the look of it, although you’re not giving us much to go on!

As for the wiring, who knows. A replacement CU does not automatically = rewire.

The best course of action would be to have an EICR carried out which will detail all the characteristics of the installation, and document what work needs to be done to it.

The CU is due for replacement.

It was the only pic I had, it's been a very long process trying to secure this house.

I'm assuming that the trunking/switches/sockets were all replaced at the same time as the CU was installed.

If so, and that is a big if, a range of early 2000's is good to hear. I'm hoping a rewire isnt the first thing we have to do. Just budgeting. As long as its safe, it can wait.

It will need doing as we dont want to keep the plastic switches, sockets and trunking.

I know a good electrician who will do the EICR and any remedial work.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
That consumer unit is from between 2002 and 2007 by the look of it
Are you sure? it looks to me like it's a mainswitch only CU which would suggest to me that either it was pre 16th edition or it was installed by someone who was not current on the regs at te time of installation....

Edit just looked again at the photo and it looks like there may be a RCD barely visible at the far end from the main switch.

Are you sure? it looks to me like it's a mainswitch only CU which would suggest to me that either it was pre 16th edition or it was installed by someone who was not current on the regs at te time of installation.... Edit just looked again at the photo and it looks like there may be a RCD barely visible at the far end from the main switch.
Indeed, and although almost two blurred to read, the large label on the front of the CU appears to be talking about regularly testing the RCD.

Kind Regards, John

The house has been unsympathetically rewired at some point - all light switches are fed with cables in wall mounted upvc trunking (with gaps cut through the original ceiling coving and picture rails). Same with plug sockets. All are the cheapest, bulkiest white plastic switches and sockets.

Not sure if the plastic light switches were used because there's no earth, or, if the cheapest possible job was done on the rewrire. It was paid for by pensioners.
In my experience only really posh installations have metal sockets and switches. Plastic is the norm. The bulkiness is likely because the switches and sockets like the cables are surface mounted.

Something to think about is that cutting chases for wiring can make rather a mess of your decor. If you are DIYing it may make sense to do one room at a time at the same time as you do other renovation work on said room. That isn't so practical if you are using a professional electrician though.

I was working off it the fact there’s an RCD test label, and I can’t see a two module RCD. It looks to me like way 3 may be an RCBO which would suggest 16th edition with RCD protection on the ground floor sockets only so up to 2007, and proteus changed from the older style boards to this newer style proteus geyer range around 2002 if my memory serves me correctly.

F8602EE4-0D58-4738-AA5C-6FCB04F59DBA.jpeg

I think that is a test button in the red circle, and the square in the green circle is just a reflection on the Perspex flap

Plastic is the norm. The bulkiness is likely because the switches and sockets like the cables are surface mounted

What I meant about cheapest is they picked the cheapest, bulkiest plastic ones, straight from the "no frills" range: sharp corners, big, switch hard to press, makes a loud noise when you do. Not the low profile ones, with soft /rounded edges, quiet operation, less nasty looking plastic.

Something to think about is that cutting chases for wiring can make rather a mess of your decor
Its flock wallpaper right now with a replaster on the cards. Chases will be done then.

Indeed, and although almost two blurred to read, the large label on the front of the CU appears to be talking about regularly testing the RCD.
Yes it is. Good eyes! "Test quarterly, seek professional help if it doesnt work etc"

In my experience there are a couple of reasons why surface conduit and boxes are used. As you surmise, it’s the cheapest method. the second is that the house construction makes wall chasing difficult/ a PITA. Concrete walls and ceilings can be impenetrable and elderly lathe and plaster can take a month of Sundays.
As above, you’ll only find out after the EICR and a couple of quotes.

PS. Don’t leave electrical work too late in the project. Been to too many houses where they want a rewire after they have moved in and had the place newly decorated.

Many years ago I rewired the house of an old gentleman who had cerebral palsy and used plastic trunking because he also had other issues which included a dust allergy.
Material wise it actually cost more because of the trunking and some corner pieces etc. It certainly did make it quicker and cleaner than chasing walls, lifting floor boards etc.

Many years ago I rewired the house of an old gentleman who had cerebral palsy and used plastic trunking because he also had other issues which included a dust allergy.
Material wise it actually cost more because of the trunking and some corner pieces etc. It certainly did make it quicker and cleaner than chasing walls, lifting floor boards etc.

It also leaves it open and easy to later sink cables into the walls, on a room by room basis as they are redecorated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back