Guide to buying new sockets, quality

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had a scan through the forum and read the information on the Twiki but can't see any relevant information on here already.

I am looking for some buying guide information on wall sockets and light switches please. I am looking at Brushed Steel but wonder if there are different qualities of coating available and I also would like good quality electric workings as well. The light switches I currently have are poor quality with most of the "rocker" part of the light switches no longer present and so the switches themselves tend to jam half way. I wish to replace them with some good quality versions.

Are there any general buying guides to sockets and switches which I can reference as scanning the net brings up all kinds of differing price ranges and nothing dictates how one is of a better quality than any other.

Regards

FooManChu

Sponsored Links
TBH I havn't seen a guide in itself. Your best option is probably to ask the elctricians here what brand they prefer to use. Kinda like doing your own online survey.
I myself prefer MK. It's always the brand I go to first if cost isn't too important.

You can contact manufacturers directly via email and request catalogues, almost all of them will gladly mail you some info.

On occasion where MK isn't preferred I pull out my TLC catalogue and often clients choose the chelsea polished range. I've never had a problem with them and they seem really good quality in my experience.

IMO, MK is the best, but they are expensive, especially if you are wanting flat plate switches / sockets.

The mid range ones I tend to use are hamilton.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information so far.

I did a little research and found those you mentioned and a few others.
I am familiar with MK and yes they are expensive. I always like to think that midrange is sufficient for a half way house but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

I also found a company called Scolmore International who seem to do a mid range. For midrange I guess I am looking at around £10 for a double socket as opposed to £25 for the higher end.

What I don't want is the "finish" to come off the face after a while. I've seen a few brass effect switches where this has happened and it looks awful.

As for cheap sockets, as has been the case in my house, its the Own Brand "Leading DIY Store" £1.99 for a double socket. And I can say for a fact that they are absolute rubbish as far as light switches go and I've had some sockets which end up being difficult to push plugs into or remove from.

The click range of switches and sockets by scolmore seem fine for mid range quality. The connections are not too bad to work with, and the build quality seems pretty good.

I fitted one of their 6 gang switches in a commercial property about 10 years ago and it was still working fine when I saw it yesterday :D

You also need to take into account the back box depth of your existing ones .
That could limit your choice.

Back boxes can be extended can't they? I have to tile around a few sockets and switches in a kitchen prior to replacement. Alternatively I could get deeper boxes fitted afterwards.

Is that what you meant by depth of back box?

I an not looking at ultra slim or flat. Its a 1930's house so I'm trying to get some which will look right. Brushed Nickel with black inserts might be a good choice for this period of house. I know there are specific art deco styles around but at a price.

Brushed Nickel with black inserts might be a good choice for this period of house. I know there are specific art deco styles around but at a price.

Click Deco by Scolmore may suit you.
I've used quite a lot of their accessories and have always found them to be of a high quality.

15309.jpg

1128.jpg

1127.jpg

Don't do what one of my customers did before contacting me. Spent a fortune on MK switches for me to fit and when I turned up there was not a single switch supply with an earth wire. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back