Guildelines for room type dimensions??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently designing a university building for a university module and was wondering if guidelines exist for minimal room dimensions either in British Standards or Building Regulations. I would require classroom/seminar/lecture rooms per number of students etc.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Although I know nothing about building designing, I think there are regulations concerning the amount of sq m per student in educational establishment classrooms.
I assume this is an exercise your working on, in which case the brief may indicate the maximum amount of students in each room. EG, the lecture hall might have to accommodate 200 students, whereas classrooms may only have to accommodate 30 students. The students union bar will probably have to accommodate a few thousand ;) ;) ;)

heres a link to a site that contains something about area per student (in schools though)

http://www.teachers.org.uk/docs/files/Class-Size-rev-06.doc

You need to pop up to the faculty library and find the Metric Handbook: Planning and Design Data and look at chapters 2, 5 and 22. And some other chapters will help too

This is not covered in BS or B/regs

Sponsored Links
Cheers Woody for pointing the OP in the right direction. I'm not sure if the guidelines are for sq m (floor area)per student or cubic metres per student, but I did know there are guidelines, as there are for workshops and factories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back