Guitar Playing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Despite previously never really having any desire to learn to play a musical instrument, mainly due to a perceived lack of musical talent, i've (accidentally) ended up learning to play the acoustic guitar.

I know we've got some guitar players on here - just wondered if anyone has any tips or hints for an absolute begginer?

Sponsored Links
Andrew. If you hang on a while we are trying to get a new sub forum started. We'll feature that sort of thing in there. I've been playing for almost 50 years, and play most styles.

Hang on a while... :eek: all this excitement and you want me to hang on a while!! ;)

I'll keep an eye out for the sub-forum then, sounds like i've timed my trip into the world of music quite nicely! I've learnt a few chords already and i'm just working on my strumming and switching from one chord to another (without a two-minute break!!)

Sponsored Links
The thing that puts most people off is a badly set up guitar. Particularly if it is steel strings. It doesn't cost a lot to get it set up by a pro - and even a cheap guitar can play really well. I buy, set up and resell guitars as a hobby.

It's all to do with getting the frets level, the slight curve in the neck and the bridge at the right height. An unset up guitar fights you every day. Once set up - you are at one with it. As a bike rider, I'm sure you will know what I mean.

Despite previously never really having any desire to learn to play a musical instrument, mainly due to a perceived lack of musical talent, i've (accidentally) ended up learning to play the acoustic guitar.

How did you get into it accidentally,children learning perchance?

Got it in one! - the young 'un had one for christmas and then we saw a secondhand adults guitar for sale so thought it might help him if I got one and learnt with him... i've soon got into it more than him though, but i'm hoping if i can start putting together something remotely tuneful it might inspire him to persevere with the 'boring bits' of learning the basics. He's still keen, but we only manage 10mins before he loses interest at the moment.... I was trying to help him on his but my fat fingers had no chance on a half-size fretboard!

Joe - so do I need to get it set up by someone who knows what they're doing, or is this something I can do myself. And yes, the bike analogy hit home - i've adjusted my saddle recently and now can't get it back into a position that doesn't leave me walking like John Wayne for a couple of days!!

Got it in one! - the young 'un had one for christmas and then we saw a secondhand adults guitar for sale so thought it might help him if I got one and learnt with him... i've soon got into it more than him though, but i'm hoping if i can start putting together something remotely tuneful it might inspire him to persevere with the 'boring bits' of learning the basics.

Good for you,I did the same with our daughters on keyboard's sadly they progressed faster than me.

I'll do a thing on guitar setting up in the new forum. I've got a webcam.

There are loads of open tunings. G and D being the most popular. I don't tend to use them as you have to learn a whole new set of chords and scales.

you tube this guy John Charles Wiltshire-Butler, this guy can ****ing play!!!

best 12 string i've ever listerned to.

I play guitar, piano and trumpet.

Piano and trumpet learnt at boarding school and guitar in prison :LOL:

Erm I'm feeling a bit left out here! :cry: I asked you about learning to play Joe and you said I was too old! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back