How to soundproof party wall in terraced house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to deregulation by the sons of ***** in power at present the two up two down family end terraced house next to mine has been gutted and turned into 5X 8 foot by 8 foot by 7 foot boxes with a shower and toilet in each and an extra floor squeezed in.

This results in 5 to ten adults of a night time in that house often until 4 am, no matter the day of the week and the noise, is quite literally killing me due to lack of sleep and bumps and bangs in the night that make me bolt upright wondering if I am being burgled again. The council does not give a toss, the land lady nor the estate agent gives a toss and I'm now left to sound proof at least 24 square meters to have a quiet living room and bedroom and I'm having to get a small loan out to do it.

I've lived in my home for 12 years, I have never experienced anything like the noise that now comes from the house next door. I can hear them as clear as day and if I raised my voice could finish their sentences for them.

I don't have much space to play with due to door frames and I do not know what to fill the void with due to it being so small. I've seen folded packed towels used for such things with surprisingly good results but it would take me an age to gather enough for the surface area.

The wall will be as follows

Party wall>> rubber tape>> 2cm batton >> rubber tape >> 15mm acoustic plasterboard with a 6mm closed cell foam backing.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Sponsored Links
DarkStar82, good evening.

Not a good place to be in with constant din.

Suggest you check out this site for previous posts on soundproofing party walls, I have seen a load of posts. use the "search" box [top right of the page we are on]

The link below gives at least an idea of one Commercial "possible" fix, but it does give fairly sound advice, there are several other "Commercial" products on line but such systems can be [shall I call it] replicated probably more cheaply than a Commercial offer.

https://www.ikoustic.co.uk/product-data

Ken

Sponsored Links
Back