Guitar Playing

Dont think Ive seen a post from Joe where people havent tried to pull him to pieces.
Bet they pick on someone else now.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've been playing guitar for 19 years now the best advice I would give is find a good tutor for 1 to 1 sessions they will stop any bad habits from forming in the early stages and help you progress a lot quicker.
Having the guitar properly setup is vital you need a nice low action with no fret buzz and the intonation needs to be set right.
It's a job for a professional guitar repaired most music stores will be Abel to assist.

No it's not. Anyone in here can do it.

Sponsored Links
I've been playing guitar for 6 or seven years now. I play all sorts but favour folk and acoustic singer songwriter stuff and when i plug in its country rock bit of blues and the occasional bit of classic rock. I play in an americana band.
I own a fender tele hot rod 52 an cole clarke acoustic and a fender deluxe reverb amp along with a few pedals. At the moment i've got my eye on a epiphone joe bonamassa as i cant stretch to a gibson LP and if i was going to spend that kinda money i know a guy that will build me one to any spec i like for 2K.
A sub forum would be great. With regard to setting up your own guitars i think it does take some skill as intonation and action can be affected by the slightest adjustments and some guitars are harder than others ie floating bridge or a floyd rose tremelo to mention a couple of types. I can afford to pay a luthier to set my guitars up so i do plus the technical side of things doesnt really interest me, i just like playing em!

With regard to learning there is a brilliant guy on youtube called justin sandercoe, he has complete series of lessons, easy to advanced songs to learn and its all free, he's a top bloke

Thanks for pointing my in the direction of Justin Sandercoe dcdec - from what i've seen of his website so far he's excellent. Only watched the first few bits of video and already he's contradicted a couple of things i've read in books that make a hell of a lot of sense.

Happily working my way through his video tutorials now!! :D

There's a lot of them. He used to be Katie Melua's guitar player and teacher.

I always wanted to try and learn how to play the guitar but never got time to try to :( But i do love songs that have different kinds of guitar sounds :)

There are loads of open tunings. G and D being the most popular. I don't tend to use them as you have to learn a whole new set of chords and scales.

I find two fingered Am7 and E7 open chord shapes work pretty well over a lot of the neck in open tunings joe, especially open G
have a go

Matt

I know we've got some guitar players on here - just wondered if anyone has any tips or hints for an absolute begginer?

as others have allready stated, you need to have the guitar set up so its playable
the action does not need to be "as low as possible" btw...... (though a lot of lead players seem to prefer it that way) .....it needs to be right for you and your style of playing, as you progress you will know what feels comfortable
oh and practice when ever you can!

Matt

There's a lot of them. He used to be Katie Melua's guitar player and teacher.

There are a lot of them Joe, and most of the early things i've already picked up from elsewhere, but I thought i'd watch them all from the start, in order anyway - as I say, he's already changed two things about how I was learning which seem to have made things easier and for my son too. Bearing in mind I've no idea what i'm talking about, what he says seems to make a great deal of sense so i'll stick with it and see how I get on....

One thing I had wondered relating to my son's guitar - does anyone know how to properly size a guitar for him (he's 6yrs old). The one we bought is a half-size guitar and seems to be right for him now, but how do i know when he's out-grown it and ready for a bigger one? Another thing i have been warned about is the strings snapping - don't really want him to get one across the face!! Is there a way you can tell that they're ready for replacing - or a time period after which I should change them as a precauition - a 'best-before' date if you like?

A half size guitar is perfect for him at the moment and that should be fine for a few years. He may be big or small for his size or might have a growth spirt so i think it may become obvious when he needs to change. There are several models of acoustic guitar, jumbo tend to be the biggest, then dreadnought but what might be a good idea for him would be a grand concert size guitar.
Strings tend to loose their tone and feel different when they need changing, i use d'addario and have never had one break, just be careful when he's tuning up that he's going the right way and perhaps warn him off messing around with the tuning pegs.

Glad you like the justin sandercoe lessons he's a very good teacher

He spends too much time on piddling detail. He wants to play everything note-for-note but that's not life in the real world.

And there aren't that many 6 year olds that keep it up. You'll have to accept he'll probably drop it before long. He'd probably be better with a nylon string guitar.

dcdec - I already tune the guitar up for him - his interest is currently limited to about 10min stints and if he tunes himself, most of that's gone before we get started so I usually tune it for him and then save his attention for practicing.

Joe - his guitar has nylon strings, we were told they were best for kids when we bought it. I hope he doesn't give it up, he seems keen enough now and if he can get to the point that he can play something I hope that'll encouarge him to carry on - but we're not going to push him - if he really isn't interested then we'll leave it. I'm following Justin's lessons and I can see what you mean about the detail, some of the videos are a bit tedious but as an absolute beginner ive found them all useful to watch once. Then i hope I can gleam out the important bits to show the lad, or just try and teach him myself.

Sponsored Links
Back