Gulley solution needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a gulley at the corner of my UK house that's getting damaged due to footfall. The plastic grid is damaged and so is the 'hopper' (not sure that's the correct term)'s rim. It's on the main path around the house and is surrounded by gravel.

2 issues - if I replace the plastic grid, it'll just wear down and start cracking again.

If I replace with a harder wearing metal one, which seem quite hard to find at a reasonable price - small bits of gravel still get into through the grid.

So, what might be my best route here? Can I remove this? Is this a job for a plumber? Can I just cover over it somehow? What is actually the point in gulley's like this? This one in particular joins to an inspection chamber which you can see in the picture to the left (covered by a big concrete slab), and also runs along the side of the house where there is a rodding point.

Any suggestions are welcome!

gulley.jpg

Sponsored Links
Remove and cap the pipe below ground level. Presumably it was to drain previous hardstanding.

I think I prefer the removal method, But are gullies like this typically for standing water? Or are they ever needed for air-draw? From looking at Google Street View's various years back in time - it looks like it's been sitting proud of the surface for at least the last 12 years... Not much standing water collects there :-/

Sponsored Links
You could use metal grid and place fine mesh under it to prevent gravel falling in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back