Gully problem-best solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into new house 3 months ago, this week noticed some not very pleasant smells in kitchen. Upon investigation looked like kitchen drain/grid was blocked, removed grid and unclogged debris, water level then dropped dramatically only to find an original drain with grid approx 12 inches below due to built up patio. Looks like concrete has been formed above and around original drain grid which is preventing me from removing original grid cover, there is no concrete on back wall therefore when blocked the water has been sitting permenantly against house. The original kitchen(long since removed) grey waste pipe is also there which enters kitchen and not connected to anything, with no trap smells have been entering the kitchen. Since unclogging and getting thetwater back below original grid there have been no smells. So I'm looking for advice on correct solution? I could extend the black drain pipe down to level of original drain but there would still be problem of potential splashing on bricks to back wall. I also need to remove grey pipe and fill hole, this would be tricky as access is difficult. Any ideas people? See attached pic. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_181545.jpg
    IMG_20180325_181545.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Where is the house dpc in all this? Do you have a suspended or solid floor? How does the patio height relate to internal floor level?
We had almost exactly this situation. The basic solution is to extend all the outlet pipes right down to grid level, and you can either add a trap to any pipes or combine them into a single pipe before they go outside.
Then keep a close eye for blockages from now on.
You may need to remove the edge of the patio closest to the house to avoid damp penetration. We did, but eventually did an extension over the whole area.

Is the original gully round? You could raise it up with some 6" pipe.

If you used clay pipe you could mortar the same top back on to keep it looking original.

If the original gully has a trap (ie is holding water) then there is no problem, and the previous smells were purely due to the blockage on top.

Sponsored Links
If the original gully has a trap (ie is holding water) then there is no problem, and the previous smells were purely due to the blockage on top.
Correct, thanks,water level dropped about 2 feet after clearing it all out. Problem I have is it is difficult to remove the grey pipe and then seal hole to prevent any cold air/smells entering kitchen. Also concerned about splashing of water against wall in area between the two grids. I can't remove the lower grid as it has concrete on top so trying to extend upwards might be difficult, are they easy to break/split?cheers

Where is the house dpc in all this? Do you have a suspended or solid floor? How does the patio height relate to internal floor level?
We had almost exactly this situation. The basic solution is to extend all the outlet pipes right down to grid level, and you can either add a trap to any pipes or combine them into a single pipe before they go outside.
Then keep a close eye for blockages from now on.
You may need to remove the edge of the patio closest to the house to avoid damp penetration. We did, but eventually did an extension over the whole area.

Damp proof course is slightly below the patio level. They have also injected a damp proof course just above level of patio. House is suspended floor, with top of patio about 2 inches below internal floor level. I've got somebody coming next week to whizz out edging as you have suggested and fit plastic drains along edge of house. I will probably extend pipe down to original level as a temporary measure and then at some point look to raise to new level. My main concern at moment is getting the lower grey pipe out and then filling hole in kitchen wall, very difficult to access and almost impossible from the inside. Cheers

The top piece should come off quite easy, the sides go straight down so it's not anchored.

There will be a lip on the underside of it that's the same size as 6" clay pipe so it would fit/sit into a 6" clay collar like this:
IMG_7357.JPG

You could buy a short piece of that, sit it ontop of the original lower top and mortar the current top back where it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back