gutering keeps comeing undone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, we had new fascias and guttering 3 yrs ago, must be the 3rd time now ive had to clip this guttering back on, it has a large drop at the front of the property,

1st - time i pushed it back in
2nd time i wrapped water proof tape around joint (inside) to make tighter fit - this worked but in the heavy window its dropped a bit (not fallen off)
3rd suggestion - was going to put a screw at the back of the top bits of drain pipe - so it cant drop - didnt really want do see a screw

anyone help please, its pretty high and annoying - only happens
on x1 - other 3 are fine for some reason

Sponsored Links
hi, we had new fascias and guttering 3 yrs ago, must be the 3rd time now ive had to clip this guttering back on, it has a large drop at the front of the property,

1st - time i pushed it back in
2nd time i wrapped water proof tape around joint (inside) to make tighter fit - this worked but in the heavy window its dropped a bit (not fallen off)
3rd suggestion - was going to put a screw at the back of the top bits of drain pipe - so it cant drop - didnt really want do see a screw

anyone help please, its pretty high and annoying - only happens
on x1 - other 3 are fine for some reason

Do you mean the downpipe keeps slipping down? If that's the problem then the clamps holding it to the wall aren't doing their job, either they're slack or there aren't enough of them. The joints shouldn't be taking any load and you're right to avoid putting screws in them.

sorry i mean the bit were it pushes in to the bit that runs along the top - as it comes down the side of the property at a 90 degree bend - just at the top

thanks

Fair enough. Normally they're just a snug fit but if one keeps coming loose you could try a solvent weld product to bond the joint. Ideally you could test it on a couple of scraps of the same plastic to make sure it will work but it should be ok on most kinds of rainwater product. There are a few brands but here is an example..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-sc250-solvent-cement-250ml/14295

The bonded surfaces need to be clean so rubbing them down with a bit of scotchbrite or other fine abrasive before bonding might help.

Sponsored Links
The off-set between the rainwater pipe and gutter?

Put a screw in it! or make up another off-set which is tighter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back