Guttering drip against house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey extension and the downpipe from the roof brings the rainwater to guttering along the edge of the extension. There is a small amount of water getting between the end of the guttering and the flashing on the house wall. These drips have caused a damp patch to seep into my house. (The drips are landing on my neighbour's side of the wall, next to her drain, but due to holes in the mortar at floor level on my extension it's got into my dining room.)

Pics: //www.diynot.com/network/LP3LP3/albums/

I think Job 1 is to get this area dried out and then Job 2 is to fill those holes in the mortar at the base of my extension. Would a piece of roof flashing tape from the wall and into the gutter be a good starting point, so the water can't get to the wall? And could I do anything with something like roof flashing tape to shield this corner and aim water to the drain? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Whose house is in the pics? Yours or your neighbour's?

The shoe on the RWP is directing its discharge towards the wall ie. the green staining stuff, and the channel has stopped short of the extension.

Digging around the soil pipe and filling with gravel might help - a French drain effect.

Where does the channel drain to, and where's the outlet?

Perhaps some pics of the roof and gutter arrangements, and maybe pics of the interior dampness.
Google for images of "kickouts" - maybe thats whats req'd at the gutter roof junction?

Thanks ree. I think a kickout is just what's needed.

The photos are taken from my neighbour's garden. The house on the left and the pipes coming down are my neighbours and the yellow brickwork is my extension (done about 8 years ago).

The channel around her house is from the boiler outlet (the other side of her garden back door) and leads to the drain near the corner (sees in the photo). The drain was completely blocked and I dealt with that a couple of weeks ago so was hoping to see improvement to the damp in the house but it hasn't reduced.

I've added a photos of the damp in my dining room: //www.diynot.com/network/LP3LP3/albums/20639

I didn't take any more photos from the neighbour's side so, unfortunately, can't show you the end of the guttering but the lack of kickout seems to an excellent suggestion and I'll get onto that first.

As the drain is right next to the soil pipe, and next to the join on our houses, I'm cautious of digging out around there to try the gravel drain idea.

I'll give the neighbour's downpipe a twist so it's not pointing towards her house, good tip. It's that green behind the soilstack, and next to my house, that concerns me the most. Especially now I've seen the holes in the mortar at floor level at that grey slab on my extension.

A combination of shoddy builders for my extension 8 years ago and shoddy builders for the neighbours house refurbishment last year has left us with these 'challenges' to overcome!

From the exterior view your extn floor appears to have a conc slab extending out from the main house and then bottom course brickwork? Does the cavity in that area go down below the ground level?

Inside, have you laid the boards on a conc slab or a semi suspended floor?

Where are the holes that you refer to?

No matter what, you will do best to remove the skirting on both sides of the corner, and examine the backs for wet rot/fungal decay. Likewise the plaster is probably perished with salts and will have to be hacked off for a patch repair with a remedial plaster or render.

The exterior corner could do with raking out and re-pointing.

Sponsored Links
Ree, thanks so much for your help with this. I've added a few more photos to try and give some better context.

The extension is a solid concrete floor with terracotta tiles. There is no damp to be seen in there but there is in the dining room which is the nearest room in the main section of the house. The dining room has sanded wooden floorboards for the flooring. I noticed the floorboard in the corner near this dampness issue outside was wet and then it's spread up the wall.

The holes I spotted are under that grey slab on the base of the extension (I've added another photo to make it clearer) but I realise those can't be sealed until I get the area dry.

You're right, the damp painted plaster in the dining room has lots of white powder coming off to I guess this could be salts and damp plaster. I'm not sure when to start hacking this off as I've been marking the dampness with a pencil line to see if it was growing and it's sort of useful to keep on an eye on it like this until the outside if sorted.

Actually, I have noticed a white line of possibly salt appear along the wall of the extension against the neighbour's boundary. I wonder if this is related as the garden paving was only added there last year and the while powdery line is from the last few months. The interior of the extension is exposed brickwork so it's not damp plaster or anything like that.

Anyway, you've been such a big help already, thank you. If you have any more ideas I'd be very pleased to hear them. Thank you!

Thanks ban-all-sheds. I missed "Refresh my images" and clicking on each image to make them show up in the post. Thanks for your help!

The holes below the concrete should lead to the cavity that i questioned you on? Maybe some moisture goes into the nearby solid house wall but i suspect that damp is penetrating from the too high yard corner.

Your kitchen slab shouldn't go under any cavity walls, it should cover the floor area only.

The RWP above your conservatory (?) should be extended to discharge into the conservatory gutter - simply lead the pipe end into the gutter, pointing the shoe down and along the gutter not across it. No kickout should then be necessary.

Where does this gutter discharge to?

Was your conservatory built by some company that advertises in the media? It encroaches onto your neighbour's property.

Thanks again, ree. The holes under the concrete slab can't be inspected further as it's a solid floor with terracotta tiles in the extension. I guess I just need to get the exterior area around it dry and get the holes filled.

I'm a bit rubbish at the terminology - what's a high yard corner?

I'll get an extension for the downpipe so it leads straight into the gutter - good advice. The gutter goes to a waterbutt in the garden. The waterbutt is full but the pipe leading to it is not as the waterbutt just overflows when it gets too full.

I agree, the angle I took the photo of the back of the houses, to show the conservatory, does look like it hangs over into the next door neighbour's garden but, thankfully, it doesn't. The edge of the gutter is on the boundary line.

Does that mean the garden paving on my neighbour's side is too high? I'm sorry I'm getting lost in translation. That paving was only laid last year but I didn't have any damp problems before so your suggestion seems very reasonable. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back