Guttering leaks..help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am new on here and looking for some advice. We bought our house just over a year ago and on moving in noticed we had a few drips in the guttering. We paid someone to come and clean them out and "seal" them. Said sealing did nothing and the guy that did it had no interest in coming back.
It is now getting worse. I have at least 5 leaks at joints, corners and downpipes. The guttering is an old discontinued shape so spares are expensive.
Would something like Ct1 work if we can find a handyman willing to get up there and do it as we are not good with heights.
Reluctant to replace all the guttering as we would need scaffolding over the garage and plans are to replace the roof tiles and fascias and soffits in a few years time.
Just need advice on what options might be? Is this going to cost a fortune?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not ct1 -it's an adhesive and the gutter needs to expand and contract . Screwfix do a No Nonsense range - gutter and roof seal ;) that's cheap but finding someone to work off ladders nowadays:unsure:

Thanks Nige. That's the difficulty. Considering buying a scaffold tower and attempting this myself!!

You need to find out why its leaking. The gutter ends need to be clipped down tight and they do move, so sealant on it's own does not tend to work. The gutter also needs to lap in to the joint sufficiently too.

It might just be a case of dismantling the joint and cleaning the rubber, or fit a new rubber. But either way the joint needs taking apart and you can't just go up a ladder with some mastic and seal it from below if that's the plan.

Sponsored Links
I expect that it is down to perished seals with it being at nearly every joint. I have 11 in total and 8 are leaking. In an ideal world we would replace the whole lot but we'd be into the thousands with it having to all be removed when we eventually get the fascia, soffit and roof tiles all replaced. So aggrivating.

Don't leave the dripping guttering too long, if you're unlucky you'll end up with internal damp problems from soaked walls.
Well worth getting some prices for doing the fascias, soffits & gutters now- your later reroof shouldn't affect them.
If thats outside the budget then price up scaffold & diy the gutters etc- s proper scaffold is like working at ground level, its lovely compared to a zip tower or ladders

We are waiting on a quote for all new gutters, fasica and soffits but have been told if we are planning on doing the roof soon then we are effectively throwing away money on scaffolding, gutters and a skip over £1k that will need all over again when it comes to the roof retile.
The current roof is made of asbestos cement tiles which are tacked onto the fascia, they cannot be removed or pushed back to put in new fascia without risking damage.
We do not want our hands to be forced into a re roof for a roof that is not leaking!

Mock slates are cheap enough and easy enough to replace so don't worry too much about damage.
Agreed paying for scaff twice is annoying but a skip for gutter, fascia & soffit replacement is over the top.
Do note that this is primarily a site for diy.Cleaning out or replacing seals on the existing gutter can be done from a ladder or tower but if you're paying someone else to do it you're bound by their method statements, risk assessments etc. So up to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back