Had down-lights installed above bathroom, unsure of safety

Mybuilder.com

images

Sponsored Links
You have a number of issues here that do not reach the required standards of BS7671:2008 (AMD1) and other building regulations
Most have been mention:
*The sheath of cable not entering an enclosure.
*Joints not being enclosed.
*Exposed live conductors.
*The positioning of the fitting near a combustible material.
*The insulation be removed, therefore compromising the thermal resistance of this barrier. Although the lamps and any connected transformers must be ventilated and the evidence of the picture does really show how extensive the actual thermal layer is!
*12V lamps on 240V supply.
*No issuing of either an electrical insulation cert or minor works cert.

If you have the details (on invoice, quote, receipt etc)
You could google to see if the are registered as competent person in the eyes of the law: http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Enter the details given and they should appear on the list or the scheme provider maybe on their paperwork.
Once you have done this and confirmed either way you have options.
*Call the electrician inform them that you are not satisfied with the quality or safety of the work and it has a number of issues that are not compliant to BS761 as stated on their paperwork that he has made it so. And you would like this correcting or your money back, so you can find an alternative electrician to carry out the issues that need addressing.
*Inform their scheme provider as they will have a complaints procedure which will be logged against them.
*Contact trading standards and make a report against them, you must first though make contact with the person who performed this work to try to come to a resolution as they will ask if you have before they then contact them.
*You could also talk to your LABC and inform them that you have had electrical work installed by an alleged electrician and evidence would suggest that it does not comply to Part P of the building regulations, as it is unsafe.
And you would like to know what procedures are in place to address this legally? Please not we are not talking about notification of the work if asked, simple that it is unsafe and none compliant to BS7671.

Will a 12v lamp even survive on 240? If so for how long? Op what is the bulb itself rated at? Would a 240v bulb fit a 12v fitting?

PrenticeBoyofDerry, thanks for taking the time to tell me all of that :). I'll make sure it's corrected.

rjm2k I couldn't find a 240V MR16 lamp.

I think the fitting has been mislabeled, after looking at the product description properly for the product number on the label, it should be a white unit but it is brushed chrome. There is a 240V fitting of the same manufacturer but it is a completely different product number.

I'm going to try and find someone on the forums to sort this work out for me instead of getting the original electrician back. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
If you can remove the lamp, there is a chance the voltage rating will be printed on the side of it.
12V lamps tend to have pins that pull rather than twist from the lampholder, 240V lamps tend to require a quarter turn to remove.

mfarrow, I measured it with my multimeter at the choc block which connects to the light fitting's fitted wires.
Thanks, always good to see some testing going on.

rjm2k, I think this is what the bodge monster has installed: http://www.meteorelectrical.com/50w-gu5-3-240v-50mm-mr16-20-halogen-dichroic-reflector-spot.html. So yes you can get 240V rated MR16s with GU5.3 pins, unless the fittings really are miss-labelled.

At 20x the rated voltage, in my experience the lamp would last milliseconds.

Wasn't suggesting anyone should put a 240v bulb in a 12v fitting was just wondering if that's what this guy has done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back