Hager cu with Bs1362 fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if there are circuit breakers available to retro fit to these hager boards.
I am going to have a ring round in the morning just thought I would see if any of you know.

Sponsored Links
That's the fella. Saw a customer today who has one protecting his shower circuit. The fuse had ruptured 2-3 times lately the last time has made the holder (mcb) unusable.
Its a 6mm cable. The shower is rated at 9.5Kw
However it has been in service for 2 years with no problem.
I IR tested cable and it's sound.
I have rang hager and there is no alternative MCB option but holder is still available. Despite both CEF and Newys saying they are obsolete.
Any one have any idea's why the fuse has suddenly decided to start discriminating after 2 years and so violently?

Sponsored Links
That's the fella. Saw a customer today who has one protecting his shower circuit. The fuse had ruptured 2-3 times lately the last time has made the holder (mcb) unusable.
Its a 6mm cable. The shower is rated at 9.5Kw
However it has been in service for 2 years with no problem.
I IR tested cable and it's sound.
I have rang hager and there is no alternative MCB option but holder is still available. Despite both CEF and Newys saying they are obsolete.
Any one have any idea's why the fuse has suddenly decided to start discriminating after 2 years and so violently?

If the fuse holder is now unuseable, then it's probably been a duff connection that caused sufficient heat to blow the first fuse, and from then on it'll have got worse and worse until the situation your in now.

I'm sure that current hager circuit breakers will fit as a direct replacement for cartridge holders if I'm thinking of the right things.

Is it one of these doofers that you have?

$(KGrHqR,!mIE+ubCNtE8BQOMoMU7T!~~60_12.JPG

Yes that's him.

But I looked at sizes on hager website and the hager mcbs are larger dimensions. Also Carl at hager technical said they won't fit.

I asked the customer if he felt confident to check the connections in shower and isolator to make sure they are tight until I got round. Which I confirmed today. Maybe he got half a turn and never mentioned it?

You reckon an mcb might fit?

I don't have one to hand to check but I'm almost certain I've in the past swapped out a fuse carrier for a circuit breaker on a hager board.

It may have been the old style circuit breakers, but I'm sure the new ones are the same size. Failing that, fuse carriers are available on ebay.

I can measure a hager circuit breaker tomorrow if it helps you as I'm just going to nip out and catch last orders :)

Any input is appreciated i thought it would be a case of getting an MCB to retro fit and maybe then he could run shower and if it continued to trip then think about a lower 8.5Kw shower.
But i thought getting a replacement carrier was the easy bit of the job.

I don't have one to hand to check but I'm almost certain I've in the past swapped out a fuse carrier for a circuit breaker on a hager board.

It may have been the old style circuit breakers, but I'm sure the new ones are the same size. Failing that, fuse carriers are available on ebay.

I can measure a hager circuit breaker tomorrow if it helps you as I'm just going to nip out and catch last orders :)

I'm certain I've successfully replaced old Hager cartridge holders for new Hager MCBs, which was something RF rightly recommended on an old post a while back. :D

Me too. I've swapped some out for breakers and I'm sure the new style with the wider rockers fitted OK.

A picture of the outside of the con/unit would help.

Hager have remained compatible for many years, however there was a shift in busbar entry position many years back; the current range seems to fit anything made within the last 20 years. But there are some out there (back when the MCBS had a breaking capacity of M3 and flat head terminal screws which the current range is not compatible with

Edit: found a picture:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back