Haggis

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
If you are unable to hunt your own free-range Haggis on the Haggis moors, you have to buy them at your butcher or supermarket.

Haggis is supposed to be made of sheeps stomach, with chopped-up sheep lights and oats inside.

But here in the South, the Haggises I see contain beef lungs and other bits (not sheep).

Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Making my meat into a shepherds pie type dish.

Just enjoying a dram of a fine malt now here in Bedfordshire. (in laws Scottish) and will put the neaps and tatties on soon.

Dave

sounds similar to what the English have done to our pasties, they even have vegetarian ones, well its not a pasty just cos it vaguely resembles the shape of one :eek:

Sponsored Links
i think the paupers dish of haggis has been loosely interpreted by today's chefs, as to accommodate a more discerning, modern day pallet.

as with sausage, black pudding, hot pot, broth, Shep's pie, etc.

eating the 'umbles' aint what it used to be.

One sheep, two sheep
One swine, two swine
One deer, two deer
One haggis, two haggis

that's a possessive form

my haggis's fur needs clipping.

according to Wikipedia (and as I already knew)

the wild haggis's left legs are of different length than its right legs, allowing it to run quickly around the steep mountains and hillsides which make up its natural habitat, but only in one direction. ... there are two varieties of haggis, one with longer left legs and the other with longer right legs. The former variety can run clockwise around a mountain (as seen from above) while the latter can run anticlockwise. The two varieties coexist peacefully but are unable to interbreed in the wild because in order for the male of one variety to mate with a female of the other, he must turn to face in the same direction as his intended mate, causing him to lose his balance before he can mount her. As a result of this difficulty, differences in leg length among the Haggis population are accentuated

800px-Haggis_scoticus.jpg

A Wild Haggis specimen, Haggis scoticus, as displayed in the Glasgow Kelvingrove gallery, next to a prepared example.

It isn't even a Scottish invention (according to QI) (Roman)

It isn't even a Scottish invention (according to QI) (Roman)

no one said it was.

right on cue, joe tries to throw a spanner in.

you are so predictable joe, it borders upon ridicule.

for any new comers reading, this can be the point where a thread breaks down.

Can I ask why anyone would even want to eat haggis?

I'm Scottish but have to say that it has to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of. I wouldn't even feed it to me dogs! :confused:

I'll have the dram though................. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back