Haggis

It isn't even a Scottish invention (according to QI) (Roman)

no one said it was.

right on cue, joe tries to throw a spanner in.

you are so predictable joe, it borders upon ridicule.

for any new comers reading, this can be the point where a thread breaks down.

I think you'll find that most people assume that it is a Scottish invention.

Stay ignorant if you like - your choice.

Sponsored Links
you are correct joe, like me, most people assume it is a Scottish invention.

so what if it aint. :rolleyes:

would it be possible for you to leave us alone in our blissful ignorance, hey?

Can I ask why anyone would even want to eat haggis?

I'm Scottish but have to say that it has to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of. I wouldn't even feed it to me dogs! :confused:

I'll have the dram though................. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i was brave enough to buy a haggis this last Christmas. i hadn't realised that i had bought a veggie one though. :rolleyes:

took it back to the store (Waitrose) only to discover the carnivorous ones were sold out.

bah! i guess i'll have to wait till next Hogmanay.

Haggis is just 'spiced mince' nowadays...

Try an Icelandic Slatur (doesn't translate as slaughter for nothing!) if you want to hark back to the days of having to eat everything..

145447434.jpg

Sponsored Links
you are correct joe, like me, most people assume it is a Scottish invention.

so what if it aint. :rolleyes:

would it be possible for you to leave us alone in our blissful ignorance, hey?

No. It's my duty to educate you all. It is a Roman invention.

You scots should be ashamed of yourselves, slaughtering all those poor defenceless haggae, lovely little creatures!

The Romans get the credit for inventing sausages and similar food products (a haggis is a sort of sausage) but they get this credit because they left a lot of written records. There is no reason to suppose that other European peoples did not have similar food product earlier. Sausages are very popular in Central and Eastern Europe where the Romans did not settle.

Roman penetration into Scotland was ineffective so they had little influence on Scots culture, customs or cuisine. If the haggis was found predominantly around the Mediterranean then the argument would be more convincing.

Perhaps it was a case of waste not want not in those days so everything got used?

The Romans get the credit for inventing sausages and similar food products (a haggis is a sort of sausage) but they get this credit because they left a lot of written records. There is no reason to suppose that other European peoples did not have similar food product earlier. Sausages are very popular in Central and Eastern Europe where the Romans did not settle.

Roman penetration into Scotland was ineffective so they had little influence on Scots culture, customs or cuisine. If the haggis was found predominantly around the Mediterranean then the argument would be more convincing.

don't even bother John.

sounds similar to what the English have done to our pasties, they even have vegetarian ones, well its not a pasty just cos it vaguely resembles the shape of one :eek:

Richard though I have read many of your post and may I add respect many, I must ask, if your from cornwall aint you English, or do the cornish have a realm of their own.

BTW love them large slipper peasties ;)

They certainly do and we don't let them back into Devon without a valid passport :LOL:

Population of Cornwall = 500,000 ... 3 Surnames ;)

Can I ask why anyone would even want to eat haggis?

I'm Scottish but have to say that it has to be one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard of. I wouldn't even feed it to me dogs! :confused:

I'll have the dram though................. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Can your dogs catch a haggis ? is one of your dogs called whisky :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back