Hairline crack in resin sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered if anyone could please help me? I have a sink unit with integral draining board that came with my Habitat kitchen (it sits on a unit) it is an unusal size and discontinued (1000mm x 600mm) and I can't source a replacement.

The sink is made of a resin material and it has a hairline crack that lets water through. I need to apply a water tight seal to the bottom of the sink bowl but don't know what material to use? The only thing that works is silicone sealant but that eventually gets worn away by the cutlery and cups / plates / general sink usage over time.

Can anyone tell me if there is some sort of watertight epoxy resin I can buy that will do the job?

thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Only thing that I can suggest is that you dry the crack thoroughly with a hair drier and then try to rub in some areldite..

Sponsored Links
epoxy resin is a brill sealer (stuff you get with fibre glass kits). If you mix it weak it comes out clear and sets like rock. I first used used it many moons ago at my in laws shop on a 1 1/2" pin holed copper trap & copper waste pipe, cleaned it up, applied, still fine today (8 yrs on)! as stated make sure its bone dry first. Failin that, look up resin sinks on google, contact manufacturer, see if they do repair kits (you can enamel repair kits so why not resin)

bathglaze will re-enamel anythink....upvc windows, STONE RESIN SINKS, shower trays baths etc any colour you like too

thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I have put in a little silicone along the crack and finished the seal with araldite - i'll see how well it holds up. If no joy i think i will give captain tolley a try and then my next step would be to contact one of the enamling companies to see what they can do. I am happy to pay £100 for a permanent fix and the sink drainer is a non standard size and they discontinued it in 2002!

I suggest you seal the crack from the underneath as well. Then the sealant will not wear away.

scrub it very clean with a tothbrush and let it dry thoroughly

you could also use Fernox LSX (from plumbers merchants) which is a sort of synthetic rubber sealant that sets slightly flexible.

p.s. can you post a pic? it sounds like an Asterite sort of sink. What colour is it?

sounds like a pain in the ass terite:cool: Capt. Tolley`s is good stuff

Hello

I think I have the very same sink for sale. Unused and still boxed. South Manchester. Let me know if you are interested in buying it.

Simon

Would definitely reinforce it on the reverse side - trial a fibreglass car repair kit. Hairline cracks have a habit of getting bigger, not smaller ;)

well tried araldite and that lasted for 4 weeks before that went. Next up was Captain Tolley which didn't work at all - it just kept going straight through the crack in the sink and working its way out of the bottom. Leak is quite bad now.......

Have you tried putting something under the crack like a piece of duct tape to hold the creeping crack cure in until it has dried? Or maybe it's not taking to the remnants of the Araldite.

I've used it successfully several times on cars & caravans.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back