Half my upstairs lights won't work

Sponsored Links
....., wired old rose back as it was to start....

I suspect that statement is inaccurate
sorry to disappoint but i took a photo of the initial wiring so i could rewire back to start if needed, i appreciate advice, not self righteous sarcasm

Not sarky, just posting from phone so answers a little shorter than usual, but based on what youve written so far, its still seems suspect to me

But if thats the case, why not take a photo of the rose now and post both.

Might have the answer in a matter of minutes....

old phone trying to get one of kids to do it for me now, my concern is that in three of the roses there is no power in the live wires, all wiring in working lights seems fine and all live feeds have power, just worried problem is between rooms and a cable not just the wiring in the roses not working, sorry to have a go, just a bit stressed

Sponsored Links
apparently it isn't me being stressed it is just you being self righteous, unfortunately some of us mere mortals get things wrong, it isn't really helpful when an immortal like yourself just feels the need to keep putting me down so keep your advice and i'll just call myself an electrician in the morning, as your self righteousness tells me that you probably means you can't help me anyway

Calm down, dont get the wrong end of the stick.

Ive ben checking back here to see if youd managed to get two pics up showing before and after.

I suspect you have two wires transposed, probably the same colour, ( loop in and a switch strapper)
At the moment, im guessing.
If you get the pics up and it shows what i suspect, you may get a step by step guide how to sort it, all for free and before it gets dark.

If you want help, be nice.

What makes you think anyone would waste their valuable RnR Sunday time helping someone who is being antsy?

With respect any photo of how if was only has value if you marked each cable and core before taking a picture. How do you know absolutely that you haven't crossed something over.

Prove the light switch from the rose you messed around with then reconnect all the other cables, and then report back that all the other lights are working.

If you haven't already, look in the diynot wiki under uk electrics, lights for the various methods of loop in out termination.

And try some patience, and a dose of humilityn :rolleyes:

its not me being antsy, its constant comments being made, it appears the problem could be from my landing switch, it has two connectors at the bottom, one at the top, red in top, two reds loose and a yellow and a blue all loose, plus an earth not connected, i do apolgise for being a bit sharp, and i do have an awful lot of humility, i do however feel if you have knowledge, and it is a sunday, it doesn't really give you the right to make people feel even stupider than they already do

I don't know whether you are stupid or not and have no reason to think so based on what you have written.
What i do think is that you have made the same mistake that many, many other people have made. Search this forum and i'm sure you'll find hundreds of posts with exactly the same symptoms as you have now. Its a simple mistake to make and i bet pro sparkies have done the same at some point in their career.

Its up to you how you control your paranoia, but if you stilll want help on this forum, it may help you to post the two pics we talked about.

If you want help, be nice.

What makes you think anyone would waste their valuable RnR Sunday time helping someone who is being antsy?

With respect any photo of how if was only has value if you marked each cable and core before taking a picture. How do you know absolutely that you haven't crossed something over.

Prove the light switch from the rose you messed around with then reconnect all the other cables, and then report back that all the other lights are working.

If you haven't already, look in the diynot wiki under uk electrics, lights for the various methods of loop in out termination.

And try some patience, and a dose of humilityn :rolleyes:
the problem i have is that i cannot prove the switch live on the rose because there is no live at all in three of my roses, i have rewired the 2 way switch in but still have no power

what are you testing this LIVE with.

A lack of neutral connection could also cause failure to half the lights.
As said previoslly its unlikely to be a switch fault causing it could be a blown neutral connection or possibly the black wires in the new rose mixed up, though you seem adament there correct

Stop. Why have you rewired a switch? To be certain:- you changed a light fitting then had the problem; you did not touch the switch when this happened? OK so put the switch back as it was.
Get ready to do some drawing - draw rough plan of rooms on this floor.
Now find the find the roses which have power.
Mark these on your plan
Take out the lamps(bulbs) from all fittings
Turn off the power completely - yes everything
Go to one of the roses which did not have power and join the live to the neutral.
In turn go to the roses which did have power and check for continuity.
When you find continuity you know which rose links to which. Mark on plan.
Return the live and neutral you joined to their proper places.
Repeat until all covered.
Now choose one of the "non-power" roses you used before in the first check.
In turn use the same technique of joining L&N at other untested unpowered roses.
Keep doing this until your plan shows links between all the rooms.
When done you will have a plan which should show how the circuit is laid out and hopefully where the fault lies. It may show as a connected L&N which doesn't show up when you try to find it at the previously live end or you may see a damaged/loose wire at the rose (check all are actually tight in their connectors).
A slow job, but logical, safe and easy - though probably best done in daylight.
Best of luck.

Just a thought: (see quote below). A photograph may be misleading when you have several connections and only 2or3 colours for wires because the positions of the wires rotate as you make and unmake connections> I've seen several cases where people have drawn a rose and put in "black" "red" etc to the connectors only to find problems because they hadn't known whether it was the same wire they took out or just one of the same colour. Always worth a relook and look for hints such as a wire which seems to have been bent in a different way or has dust, scratch marks etc suggesting it was in a different place originally.

ester19 wrote:
mikhailfaradayski wrote:
ester19 wrote:
....., wired old rose back as it was to start....

I suspect that statement is inaccurate

sorry to disappoint but i took a photo of the initial wiring so i could rewire back to start if needed, i appreciate advice, not self righteous sarcasm

Not sarky, just posting from phone so answers a little shorter than usual, but based on what youve written so far, its still seems suspect to me

But if thats the case, why not take a photo of the rose now and post both.

Might have the answer in a matter of minutes....

It is unfortunate that you altered the wiring in the switches.

This could introduce other faults.

If all you altered originally was one rose, then you should concentrate on that one rose to see if there's anything you've missed.

You really need to take some pix so we can see the wiring to that fitting.

And you could do with a multimeter so you can get a reliable TWO-POLE reading from the wiring of any voltage readings.

You can get these for around a tenner from Maplin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back